Warning: SPOILERS for House of X #4
The bodies of the recently killed X-Men haven't even grown cold, and Marvel Comics has already spoiled the fact that they'll be coming back to life. Well, at least two of the team's most beloved leaders, anyway. But will fans be relieved, or disappointed?
It will be hard for any comic book fan to truly be shocked that Marvel has spoiled the return of the X-Men, intentionally or not. After all, even the most heartbreaking comic book deaths must be taken with a grain of salt, since it's usually a matter of time until it is reversed, undone, or shown to be not quite what it seemed. Yes, sometimes a single hero can receive a poetic, and righteous death (we're looking at you, Heimdall). But when a single mission takes out almost every hero in the core X-Men line-up--ahead of their anticipated reboot--you expect the publisher will at least pretend to take it seriously for more than a week.
Marvel has been slowly but surely teasing some sort of mysterious event titled Incoming for the end of this calendar year. The teases took a twist when it was confirmed a Marvel murder mystery would spark Incoming, and delivered on that hook with the artwork embedded below. Illustrated by Patrick Gleason, the whole of Marvel's Universe stands in shock of the dead body... including two X-Men who are still very much deceased:
Despite tumbling into the sun on a giant sentinel head and being shot to death, respectively, Wolverine and Cyclops appear over the shoulder of Captain America. Both are dressed in their modern House of X costumes, which they'll also be wearing as the stars of the new X-Men comic. Again, their presence in Marvel's books launching as part of the Dawn of X reboot made it clear their deaths would be temporary at best. But it seems fans will have to drop the act before the next issue even arrives. On the plus side, Wolverine and Cyclops are back! Presumably they, and the rest of the murdered X-Men, will be able to join in on the Incoming mystery. The whodunnit kicks off this December, so read below for the full credits and plot synopsis:
- INCOMING #1
- Written by AL EWING. DAN SLOTT, CHIP ZDARSKY, KELLY THOMPSON, GREG PAK,
- EVE L. EWING, MATT ROSENBERG, ED BRISSON, SALADIN AHMED, TINI HOWARD,
- JONATHAN HICKMAN, GREG PAK, DONNY CATES & JASON AARON
- Art by HUMBERTO RAMOS, JIM CHEUNG AND MORE
- Cover by PATRICK GLEASON
- ONE WILL UNITE THEM! A mysterious murder brings together the heroes of the Marvel Universe in the search for a killer - but no one can imagine where the trail will lead, or how it will affect everything in 2020 and beyond! Who is the victim and who is the assailant? The closing chapter to MARVEL’s 80th year, which will connect the dots of everything that happened in 2019 and propel the narrative into the year that is to come! Featuring the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Daredevil, Spider-Man, the Champions, the Agents of Atlas, Valkyrie, the Immortal Hulk, Jessica Jones, Venom, Ghost Rider, the Masked Raider and more!
Fans can look forward to the murder mystery unfolding when Incoming arrives on December 26th, 2019. While the surprise seems to have been spoiled, it's safe to assume the deaths of the X-Men will be the main story when House of X #5 is released on September 17th.