The world DC fans know is about to end, leaving behind a post-apocalypse where only the strong survive, and only the lucky manages not to be eaten by horrifying monsters. This is the world of Wonder Woman: Dead Earth. And it's the one Diana is about to wake up into.
Dead Earth is being published under DC's Black Label, the prestige imprint for mature stories, from a growing number of acclaimed and unexpected talents. In the case of Dead Earth, it's writer/artist Daniel Warren Johnson (Extremity, Murder Falcon) taking a new spin on one of DC's most iconic characters. And from the sound of it, and the look of the first preview pages, fans are in for something genuinely new.
The preview and early descriptions come courtesy of THR, where Johnson explains what drew him to this story of Diana, and what new challenges she'll be facing when this four-issue story begins in December:
Something that interests me about today’s world is a lot of our morality is based on the kind of environment we live in: Would we be as ready to help someone if it truly comes at an expense of our own? I feel that it’s easy to say yes, but in action we as humans have failed in this time and time again — I know I have — and that is on full display in the humans that we meet in this story. What I love about Diana is she is a god and she doesn’t have to worry about being hurt by a violent human, and because of that, she has more agency to safely make peace on behalf of humanity. But what happens when Diana’s powers are lowered significantly? When she is more vulnerable physically, it affects her spiritual way of thinking as well. Both will be tested in Dead Earth.
Check out the full preview for Wonder Woman: Dead Earth's first issue embedded below:
- WONDER WOMAN: DEAD EARTH #1 (OF 4)
- Release Date: December 18th, 2019
- Written by: Daniel Warren Johnson
- Art by: Daniel Warren Johnson
- Cover Art By: Daniel Warren Johnson
- The celebrated creator of Murder Falcon and Extremity and artist of The Ghost Fleet, Daniel Warren Johnson brings bold sci-fi chops to his DC debut with a harrowing vision of Wonder Woman unlike anything you've ever seen. Princess Diana of Themyscira left paradise to save Man's World from itself. When Wonder Woman awakens from a centuries-long sleep to discover the Earth reduced to a nuclear wasteland, she knows she failed. Trapped alone in a grim future, Diana must protect the last human city from titanic monsters while uncovering its secret of this dead Earth-and how she may be responsible for it.
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #1 will arrive in your local comic book shop on November 18th, 2019.