So far, what we've gotten from Quentin Tarantino's upcoming Inglourious Basterds film have been numerous posters, images and actual footage (including a wicked first trailer). Well, those are all really cool, but one thing we haven't gotten to know up until this point is the soundtrack for the film - a trademark of Tarantino's movies in and of itself.
Today, thanks to AICN, we have a soundtrack listing for Inglourious Basterds, something any Tarantino fan should be excited to see. The list is from a press release at Cannes, so logically it's in French. However, the song titles and artists can be read okay, check out the list below:
- The Green Leaves of Summer(d'après le film ALAMO)De Dimitri Tiomkin
- The Verdict(Dopo la condanna)D'Ennio MorriconeInterprété parEnnio Morricone
- L'incontro con la figliaD'Ennio Morricone
- White Lightning(Chanson principale du film LES BOOTLEGGERS)De Charles BernsteinInterprété par Charles Bernstein
- Il mercenario (ripresa)D'Ennio MorriconeInterprété par Ennio Morricone
- SlaughterDe Billy PrestonInterprété par Billy Preston
- Algeri: 1 novembre 1954(LA BATAILLE D'ALGER)D'Ennio Morricone,Gillo PontecorvoInterprété par Ennio Morricone,Gillo Pontecorvo
- The Surrender( La resa )D'Ennio MorriconeInterprété par Ennio Morricone
- One Silver Dollar(Un Dollaro Bucato)De Gianni Ferrio
- Bath Attack(d'après le film L'EMPRISE) (The Entity?)De Charles BernsteinInterprété par Charles Bernstein
- Davon Geht DieWelt Nicht UnterDe Bruno Balz,Michael JaryInterprété par Zarah Leander
- The Man With The Big SombreroDe Phil Boutelje,Foster CarlingInterprété par Sam Shelton and the Michael Andrew Orchestra
- Ich Wollt IchWaer Ein HuhnDe Hans-Fritz Beckmann, Peter KreuderInterprété par Lilian Harvey, Willy Fritsch, Paul Kemp
- Cat People(Putting Out The Fire)De David Bowie, Giorgio Moroder
- Mystic and SevereD'Ennio MorriconeInterprété par Ennio Morricone
- The Devil's Rumble(d'après le film DEVIL'S ANGELS)De Mike CurbInterprété par The Arrows
- What I'd SayZulusD'Elmer Bernstein
- Un AmicoD'Ennio MorriconeInterprété parEnnio Morricone
- Tiger TankDe Lalo Schifrin
- Eastern CondorsRabbia e TarantellaD'Ennio MorriconeInterprété par Ennio Morricone
Talk about diverse: David Bowie and Ennio Morricone in the same film? I'm there!
Inglourious Basterds wouldn't be a genuine Tarantino movie if it didn't have a diverse and eclectic soundtrack to go alongside the dialogue and the characters. He has said in interviews before that before he even has word one of a script written he goes into his record collection room and hunts through his thousands of records for music that "feels right."
Just shows you how important music is to him and his movies...
What Tarantino also does beyond just simply choosing music is he manages to take songs that were either forgotten or not known to most people and makes them iconic. With Reservoir Dogs it was Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle With You" during the infamous ear scene, in Pulp Fiction it was "Misirlou" that played over the opening credits, "Across 110th Street" in Jackie Brown, for Kill Bill it was "Bang Bang (You Shot Me Down)" during its opening credits... I could go on forever.
Beyond the fact that this music info is in French, the songs are pretty obscure and therefore hard to find. The "Green Leaves of Summer" and "Cat People" are easy to hunt down so if they are the only two you are able to find, it gives at least a taste as to the musical thinking Tarantino had when shooting the movie.
I can't wait for this film.
What do you think about the Basterd music chosen by Tarantino? Are you familiar with any of the songs?
Inglourious Basterds is premiering at Cannes next week and is set to open theatrically on August 21, 2009.