Do you love Westworld? If so you can experience the first vacation destination where you can live without limits thanks to Delos Inc. at New York Comic Con. But be warned, Westworld isn't for everyone, and that's because very few people will get to experience HBO's impressive activation at NYCC 2017.
Described as an "ultra-exclusive" event, hosted at a secret location we cannot divulge, Westworld: The Experience might be the most sought after thing to do and see at New York Comic Con. We managed to preview and experience the activation before the convention began and it exceeded our high expectations.
After being checked in, an elevator takes a small group of guests up to the Delos, Inc. lobby where hosts, beautiful people dressed in white, eerily welcome you in to a room. In this room there's a table full of knives and firearms straight from the Old West, along with costumes and mannequins. It's the hosts though, that make it work. They act like they're from the show, always pleasant, always slow and smooth in their speech and inquiries, and never breaking character. Even when trying to make them to. They'll attempt to start conversations with some familiar phrases and patterns from the show. It's extremely authentic across the board.
On one wall there's a nine-panel screen where an intro video is eventually played, but something goes wrong. There are interruptions of error codes and violent imagery. This footage by the way, also offered our first glimpses into Westworld season 2.
[vn_gallery name="Westworld: The Experience at NYCC 2017" id="1082793"]
After this, hosts eventually call out each guest by name, individually escorting them to a room for what is best described as a psychological evaluation. You're asked a series of questions here to discern what activities and experience would best serve you as a guest in Westworld. It's weird at first, and you'll laugh, but their descriptive evaluation of the type of person you are or perhaps want to be, is strangely accurate. Or at least, they're brilliant at making you think it is.
After that, there's a cool moment and the experience culminates in a visit to Sweetwater’s Mariposa Saloon to try out some wonderful adult beverages in good company. We won't spoil the details here but see below for the drinks attendees get enjoy and the official features.
- Live Hosts that look and act as though they emerged directly from the series to guide guests through all the space has to offer.
- Guests can explore an in-world gallery of vintage weaponry and the actual costumes of key characters from the series.Personalized one-on-one sessions will delve into guests' psyches, unlocking their true selves and resulting in an exclusive Westworld takeaway.
- Hidden Easter eggs will give a sneak peek at new footage from Season 2 that can only be seen within the activation, plus glimpses of the precarious inner workings of Delos. Guests must always be on their toes for hidden observers and system glitches. Not everything is as it seems.
- A visit to Mariposa Saloon, where Sweetwater’s finest craftsmanship is on display. Guests will be able to enjoy Westworld signature cocktails crafted by world-famous mixologist Paul McGee and interact with a player piano featuring iconic songs from the series. (Cocktail recipes available below.)
For Comic-Con attendees who want to explore Westworld for themselves, Westworld: The Experience will be open by appointment only to members of the public with a NYCC badge (age 21 and over; ID required).
The appointment desk will pop up in a different location each morning near the Javits Center, with locations being teased in advance via the @WestworldHBO Facebook page and Twitter handle. The appointment desk will be open Thursday, October 5; Friday, October 6; Saturday, October 7; and Sunday, October 8 beginning at 9:00am ET until all slots for the day have been filled.
Appointments will be available each day on a first come, first served basis. This is an ultra-exclusive event with limited appointments available Thursday-Sunday only. The location of Westworld: The Experience will only be revealed to those who are able to secure an appointment. Please do not reveal the location of the activation to your readers!
Westworld Themed Drinks/Cocktail Recipes
- 1 oz. Manzanilla Sherry
- 1 oz. Amontillado Sherry
- ½ oz. lemon juice
- 1 oz. Mallorca tea syrup
- ¼ oz. pineapple vinegar
- 2 oz. water
- 2 oz. Westward Single Malt Whiskey
- Barspoon of Demerara sugar
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 dash Abbot’s Bitters
- 1 oz. cognac
- 1 oz. overproof rum
- 1 oz. cold brew coffee
- ¾ oz. spiced Demerara sugar
- ½ oz. heavy shipping cream
Westworld is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the evolution of sin. The complete first season is available to stream now on HBO NOW and HBO GO, and the show is currently in production on Season 2. From executive producers Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy and J.J. Abrams, the series is based on the 1973 film “Westworld” written by Michael Crichton.”