The wait is almost over folks. No - I'm not talking about the new Indiana Jones film... it's the Weekend Movie News Wrap Up that you've been waiting for. Admit it!
This week we have:
Tom Cruise - as always! More marketing from The Dark Knight, George Clooney staring at goats, The Punisher teases us and Indiana Jones 5.
Yep, you read that last bit correctly!
1. It wouldn't be a Sunday if I didn't write about Tom Cruise, this week we had confirmation that the Cruiser is indeed in negotiations to star in Phillip Noyce's thriller The 28th Amendment.
According to Moviehole:
"Cruise would play President Ben Cahill in Warners action thriller, which follows the adventures of an American President (Cruise) that discovers the United States is actually being controlled by a super secret organization (run by Denzel Washington) that terminates those that get in its way."
Sounds a bit like The Firm, which was quite an enjoyable little thriller. Also Denzel's always good value, it seems like he is in the mood for teaming up with fellow A-listers - we've had him star with Russell Crowe, he's currently filming with John Travolta - it looks like Cruise could be next!
2. Once Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is released, the next film that I can't wait to see is The Dark Knight.The marketing machine has been moving along nicely on this one - and this new poster is in line with everything that has gone before it!.
3. George Clooney will star in Men Who Stare at Goats. The pic will be directed by Clooney's Smoke House partner Grant Heslov. The film will be based on Jon Ronson's book about the U.S. Army's First Earth Battalion - a unit that was to use paranormal powers in battle. No really!
The title of the film is based on the belief that you can kill a goat - just by staring at it.
It sounds like it's prime Clooney material - but I'd bet on a title change.
4. A teaser poster for Punisher: War Zone has been released - and it looks cool, and exactly like a Punisher teaser should - skulls and bullet holes.
Click for larger version
The Punisher: War Zone opens December 5.
5. It looks like we might not be seeing the end of Indiana Jones. George Lucas has been talking to Fox News and he said:
"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out."
"And it’s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he’s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it’s not like he’s an old man. He’s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."
Okay, we all guessed that Shia LeBeouf was lined up to continue the Indy franchise - but this pretty much confirms it. However, we do know that Lucas does tend to talk-up non esistant projects - hello Raid Tails.
The big news with this is that Moviehole has a Paramount source that said when talking about the marketing of the film stated that there was a reason why Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't being pitched as a "so long Indy film". The source said:
“That’s because it’s NOT the last one. I believe they’re going to do another one ASAP”.
At the film's premiere Spielberg himself, when asked about a fifth film said:
"Only if you want more. That's why we made this Indiana Jones. We'll certainly have our ear to the ground to hear what happens. That'll decide were we go from here."
Wow! Could this be true?
Who knows, but Spielberg has a jam-packed schedule and Lucas has a whole lot of Star Wars tinkering to do! If it is true it's some of the best news that I've heard since...they announced Indy 4.