Welcome to another news filled edition of the Weekend Movie News Wrap Up.
We check out the weekend box office; Steven Seagal ponders Under Seige 3, Men In Black 3 is a possible threat; Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro Paint Houses; Yogi Bear is coming to a cinema near you; we hear how long Watchmen runs and has Nolan signed for Batman 3?
Shame on you America. Beverly Hills Chihuahua should bark up around $30 million over the weekend. I think the less I say about it the better.
Meanwhile, Shia LeBoeuf‘s Eagle Eye should rake in another $17-$18 million on it’s second weekend. The Richard Gere / Diane Lane rom-dram Nights In Rodanthe tumbled 50% from last weekend. The comedy Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist should bank about $15 million, while the Ed Harris directed western Appaloosa should shoot up around $5 million by Monday. You could say that it’s an Appa-winna! How To Lose Friends And Alienate People did just that by stiffing on its opening with a weekend take of less than $1.5 million. Ouch.
1. Steven Seagal is pondering a return to the Under Siege franchise. Come on, you can’t blame him – everyone is returning to old action franchises these days. The ponytailed one told MTV:
“There are offers and we’re looking at them. I personally want it to be something more modern. In other words, I wouldn’t mind if it was about something more mystical or…maybe extraterrestrial in nature. Some real government top secrets instead of just the typical.”
You know what? I’m up for that.
2. Nobody’s childhood is safe. Joshua Sternin and Jeffrey Ventimilia will be penning a film version of Yogi Bear. Ash Brannon will direct the CGI and live action hybrid. Nooooooooooooo!
Well if Beverly Hills Chihuahua can do $30 million….
3. Here come the Men In Black…again. Word on the street is that Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are eager to suit up for a third alien busting adventure.
Does Will Smith have any artistic integrity left?
Tommy, you were so good in No Country For Old Men, why make this?
4. Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro will re-team for I Heard You Paint Houses. Don’t worry the film isn’t a decorating drama.
According to Variety:
“(The) Pic’s title refers to mob slang for contract killings, and the resulting blood splatter on walls and floors. Book was written by Charles Brandt, who befriended Sheeran shortly before the latter’s death in 2003. Among the crimes Sheeran confessed to Brandt, according to the 2004 book, was the killing and dismemberment of Hoffa, carried out on orders from mob boss Russell Bufalino.”
Sounds like it was made for the duo. It must be the 100th film that Marty is now slated to direct.
Will it ever happen?
5. Cinema Blend reckon that Chris Nolan has signed for Batman 3. The site is using Production Weekly as a source, which states that the film is going to go into pre-production in February, with Nolan slated to return along with Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman.
It’s all possible. However, isn’t this news just saying that Warners will start thinking about the film in February?
We’ll find out at some point.
Source: Cinema Blend
6. I was watching Film 2008 with Jonathan Ross this morning, and the presenter interviewed Matthew Goode who is playing Ozymandias in Watchmen. The actor said that the running time currently stands at around three hours and twenty five minutes, but Warners want it to be cut down to around the three hour mark.
Well length didn’t harm The Dark Knight.
That’s it for another week. See You at the movies.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!