Sunday again and that means that it is time for the Weekend Movie News Wrap Up.
We see who is top of the box office; Kevin Smith ups his budget and goes into space; Brad Pitt goes on an Odyssey and plays an Unfair Game; Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci do Life and Ronin zooms to the small screen.
Marky Mark Wahlberg is the box office champion with Max Payne. The film should manage about $20 million over the weekend giving 20th Century Fox their first solid hit in months.
Oliver Stone’s W bucked the political movie trend by making a solid bit of cash. Grossing around $12MM for the weekend the film should be a modest hit. Considering the current political overkill going on in the press this is a considerable coup.
The Secret Life of Bees had a modest opening too, and should match the gross of the Bush film.
Meanwhile Sex Drive stiffed it on its opening with around $3.5 million. Could it be the death of the teen sex comedy?
Beverly Hills Chihuahua is showing legs with about another $11 million barked up by Monday morning. Meanwhile Ridley Scott’s costly Body Of Lies should manage another $7 million, the same as Eagle Eye.
1. Kevin Smith will write direct and no doubt cameo in a $50 million space comedy. The Weinstein Company has read part of the script and seems interested in forking out the cash.
Smith has this to say:
“The moment someone steps out of the spaceship, it’s going to cost a little more.
All the relationships in the flicks I’ve done have been done before, have been either a guy falling for a girl or two dudes hanging out in a ‘bromantic’ comedy. I wanted to explore a father and son.”
The film won’t be made until after Smith’s Red State.
Expect at least one Uranus joke.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
2. Speaking of space – Brad Pitt will star in a futuristic retelling of Homer’s The Odyssey which will be directed by George Miller.
Pitt previously starred in an adaptation of Homer’s The Iliad, which became Troy.
Expect no Uranus jokes in this one.
3. Speaking of Brad Pitt – the star may appear in Steven Zaillian’s adaptation of Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game. The film is set to be directed by David Frankel. According to Variety:
“The Book’s subject is Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane, who assembled a contending baseball club on a shoestring budget by employing a sophisticated computer-based analysis to draft players.”
4. Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci will star in After. Life (yes, the “.” supposed to be there).
Neeson will play a funeral director who is contacted by a woman (Ricci) who is caught between life and death (much like her career following Speed Racer). Agnieszka Vosloo will helm the film.
5. The 1998 Robert De Niro film Ronin is coming to the small screen. The film which will likely be shot in Europe (like the film) will be co-financed by the BBC. The original film was helmed by John Frankenheimer and it played a bit like a middle-age Mission: Impossible, so a show should (or could) be interesting.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
That’s it for this week – see you at the movies!
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!