It’s a Despicable week at the box office; Leonardo DiCaprio is a big bad Wolf; The Little Mermaid swims towards screens; Liberace is delayed; get ready to go to Vampire Academy; Red Riding Hood‘s mother moves Sideways and lots more.
Despicable Me was the box office champ over the weekend. The Steve Carell voiced 3D toon should gross an impressive $58 million by Monday morning. In addition to Carell the film also stars the vocal talents of Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Will Arnett, Kristin Wiig, and Men In Black 3 villain Jemaine Clement.
Vampire film Twilight: Eclipse saw a big bite taken out of its grosses. The sequel dipped over 50%, but a healthy $31 million more in box office revenue brings the film to an impressive $235 million. Almost enough to put a smile on Kristen Stewart’s face.
Predators, produced by Robert Rodriguez, had to settle for third place. The R-rated Adrien Brody actioner should see about $14 million worth of green come Monday. Not bad for a film that only cost $38 million to produce. Maybe it’ll be enough to get Arnold Schwarzenegger for the follow-up?
The Last Airbender should score another $17.5 million worth of bank, giving the Paramount Picture a $100 million total gross.
Grown Ups laughed up $16.5 million giving Adam Sandler his eleventh $100 million hit in twelve years. Not a bad track record.
Knight and Day brought in another $8 million for a cumulative gross of $62 million. The action film should top out at $75 million. Not quite the disaster that many were predicting.
The Karate Kid added another $5.6 million for an impressive $164 million gross, while The A-Team upped its total to $75 million after bringing in just under $2 million over the weekend.
Indie flick Cyrus rounded out the top ten will $1 million.
1. I don’t think that Leonard DiCaprio is a big fan of change. At least that’s why I’m guess he often works with the same directors.
The Inception actor was set to reteam with Martin Scorsese on The Wolf of Wall Street, but it now seems as if his Body of Lies director Ridley Scott will direct the film instead.
When will this happen? Who knows considering that Scott has the Alien prequels on the way – along with several other films in development. DiCaprio is also supposed to star in Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar Hoover and Mel Gibson’s Viking film – I have a feeling that the latter project will be taking a back seat (due to recent events).
2. Atonement director Joe Wright is apparently working on a big screen adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen’s The Little Mermaid for Working Title.
Well, Alice in Wonderland did gross $1 billion!
3. If you’ve been waiting for Steven Soderbergh’s Liberace biopic with Matt Damon and Michael Douglas – then you’re going to have to wait a bit longer. Matt Damon has said that shooting has been bumped to next year.
I know a few good pianist jokes – but this isn’t the time or the place.
Answer: Vampire Academy
According To Variety:
“Academy set at St. Vladimir’s Academy in the Montana forests, centers on Rose Hathaway, a 17-year-old female “dhampir” — a half human/half vampire and a guardian of the Moroi race of peaceful mortal vampires. She must deal with the intricacies of the Moroi social order and the Strigoi, a race of bloodthirsty immortal vampires and predators of the Moroi.”
Transformers producer Don Murphy will produce the first film which is based on Richelle Mead’s six novel series.
You don’t need to be good with a calculator to imagine the potential box office grosses of this franchise.
5. Virginia Madsen has joined the cast of Red Riding Hood – playing the mother of Amanda Seyfried’s title character.
Gary Oldman, Lukas Haas, Shiloh Fernandez and Julie Christie also star in the film from Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke.
- Can’t get enough details on Harold and Kumar 3? Try going here for the full cast list.
- Universal Pictures have announced their upcoming slate – go here to find out when films like Unstoppable, Morning Glory, The Adjustment Bureau and others are scheduled to open.
- Elisabeth Röhm is set to join Taylor Lautner in Abduction. Read about it here.
- Can you imagine Colin Farrell as a wild and crazy booze and drug hound? You won’t have to if he ends up playing Ozzy Ozbourne. Find out details here.
That’s it for now. See you at the movies.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!