This weekend Paranormal Activity 2 captures the top spot; Tea Leoni joins Tower Heist; Shawn Ryan is Without Remorse; Pierre Morel is taken by Ouija; Mark Wahlberg and Kate Beckinsale have Contraband; Richard Branson and McG discover America, and more.
Paranormal Activity 2 (read our review) scared away all the competition over the weekend. The horror sequel grossed a mighty $43.5 million over the three days– not bad for a film that only cost just $3 million to produce.
Jackass 3D dropped to second place after grossing almost 60% less than last weekend’s debut. Don’t feel too sorry for the Jackass crew - as the film still nabbed another $21 million for a $87 million total.
Bruce Willis’ Red held up exceptionally well. The action film banked about $15 million over the weekend for a total of $43.6 million.
Clint Eastwood’s Hereafter (read our review) had a moderate debut with just over $12 million. The start is better than Eastwood’s last team-up with Matt Damon Invictus. It’ll be interesting to see if Hereafter can out gross that films $37 million total.
The Social Network was fifth after scoring another $7.3 million. The David Fincher Facebook movie has now grossed just under $73 million.
Secretariat and Life As We Know It upped their cumes to $37 million, after both grossed in the region of $7 million.
Legend Of The Guardians flew away with another $3 million for a $50 million total, while Ben Affleck’s The Town brought in under $3 million for a $84 million total. At this point it probably won’t hit $100 million without a few Oscar nods.
Easy A rounded out the top ten after banking another $1.7 million for a total just under $55 million.
1. Tea Leoni has joined the cast of Brett Ratner’s Tower Heist.
Mrs. David Duchovny will join Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Michael Pena, Gabourey Sidibe, and Alan Alda in the comedy - which sees the employees of a Trump Tower type building stealing from a Bernie Madoff-esque villain.
2. The Shield creator Shawn Ryan has signed on to adapt Tom Clancy's Without Remorse. Ryan replaces Stuart Beattie on the project which is being produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, and David Ellison.
If the film sticks to the book's plot then it will follow John Kelly (aka John Clark from previous Clancy films and books), as he seeks revenge against the Baltimore drug ring who killed his girlfriend.
3. The success of The Town sees Hollywood turn its attention to Chuck Hogan – the man who wrote the book on which the acclaimed Ben Affleck movie is based.
Hogan has been hired to write an untitled film about the Boston based Winter Hill Gang for The Town’s producers Graham King and Tim Headington.
Who says that crime doesn’t pay?
4. According to The LA Times, Taken director Pierre Morel is a lead candidate to direct the Ouija board film. The film won’t be a horror, but instead it’ll be a National Treasure style action-adventure.
And I thought it was about one of the Super Mario Brothers, who had nothing to do. Luigi bored – get it?
Source: LA Times
5. Mark Wahlberg and Kate Beckinsale are set to star in a remake of the 2008 Icelandic film Reykjavic-Rotterdam titled Contraband.
According to Deadline, Contraband is about:
“A former smuggler trying to go straight as a night guard. When his wife’s brother (who got him the job) botches a smuggling run, his life threatened, and the protagonist is dragged in for one more job.”
6. Richard Branson is set to produce a 300-style film about Christopher Columbus and his discovery of America - based on a script by T.S. Nowlin. McG is also currently set to produce and direct the film.
Will it be any good?
- Check out the first images from David Cronenberg’s A Dangerous Method - here.
- The Big Bang Theory’s Johnny Galecki joins Justin Timberlake, Olivia Wilde, Amanda Seyfried and Cillian Murphy in the film formerly known as I’m Mortal. Read about it - here.
It's just not easy being Taylor Lautner! Find out why - here.
That's it for now. See you at the movies!