One of the most talked-about dramas on television is back - as The Walking Dead season 4 premieres on Sunday, October 13th. Following a number of heartbreaking twists, and an introduction to one of the comic book's most-feared villains, the Governor, in season 3, Rick Grimes, Michonne, and the rest of the survivors aren't safe yet - as the showrunners have promised an even darker tone and more zombies, along with new challenges, in the coming weeks. Could season 4 (watch the trailer) be the best chapter in the fan-favorite show so far - not to mention help set-up the recently announced 2015 companion series?
The cast and crew of the show came to New York Comic Con 2013 to help get fans excited.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community) is moderating The Walking Dead panel with Gale Anne Hurd (executive producer), David Alpert (executive producer), Robert Kirkman (creator), Scott M. Gimple (writer), Greg Nicotero (executive producer in a zombie mask), Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes), Danai Gurira (Michonne), Chad L. Coleman (Tyreese), Steven Yeun (Glen), Lauren Cohan (Maggie), and Norman Reedus (Daryl).
- Michael Cudlitz (Southland) has been cast as fan-favorite character Sgt. Abraham Ford!
- Showing new footage - a longer take of the scene outside of the grocery store. Followed by an ominous shot of a downed helicopter.
- Yuhn says he had another show lined up that didn't pan out - and he's very happy he ended up on The Walking Dead instead.
- Kirkman says that he thought Chad L. Coleman should play Tyreese - long before there was a Walking Dead show.
- Lincoln says he still gets surprised at things that happen on the show - talking about when he had to cut off Hershel's leg. Gurira says he chopped off the leg ten times.
- Gurira and Lincoln deny that there is currently a "Richonne" love story starting. Lincoln thinks that it'll be awhile before Rick gets romantic again.
- Gimple says there is a lot of action at the fence - but a swan neck cane is the coolest new way of killing walkers.
- Kirkman says that the Telltale video game characters could make it on to the show at some point. Nicotero claims Michonne is pointing to Macon (where part of the game takes place) in the Season 4 trailer.
- Gimble says that Carol has grown a lot as a character on the show - especially since she's teaching kids about knives in the trailer. Claims that she was a victim and is now teaching other people how not to be victimized.
- Gimble asserts that it's always hard to kill characters (and see it happen on screen) but says that the actors understand - and sometimes they only know a week or so ahead of time. Says that Michael Rooker had a lot of input when he exited the show. Lincoln says it's always hard to lose characters but as long as the series honors the actors and their roles with each death, it makes the story even stronger.
- Andrew Lincoln says that if he were to play someone else it would be Carl (Chandler Riggs) who Lincoln says will "kick ass" in episode 9 this season.
- Reedus teases that Daryl is "working" on the Carol romance.
- Lincoln says there's a script that he recently read for a future episode that left him shellshocked and said they'll "get in so much trouble" for the episode. Gurira said it was really exciting reading her fight with The Governor. Nicotero claims that Sophia walking out of the barn was his favorite, calling it "heartbreaking."
- Reedus says the best dinner that was thrown for a dead character was when John Bernthal was killed-off. Cohan claims they are now throwing "we're alive" dinners as well!
- Showing an image of a new zombie that has grown into the ground called, "The Moss Walker."
- Potential SPOILERS for later in the season: Showing footage of a scene in a car with Daryl, Michonne, and Tyrese. Michonne and Daryl hear a scrambled voice on the radio - before encountering an enormous herd of walkers that spans as far as the eye can see.
The Walking Dead returns with the season 4 premiere “30 Days Without an Accident” on Sunday October 13th @9/8c.
Follow me on Twitter @benkendrick for updates on The Walking Dead as well as movie, TV, and gaming news.