[UPDATE: According to Marvel’s Agent M., the ‘Thor 2’ trailer will be released next week. Scroll for details.]
While Captain America: The Winter Soldier crept into the spotlight with its casting announcements, start of production, concept art and an official photo, Marvel Studios has made sure not to overlap their Phase Two marketing campaigns. Instead, Iron Man 3 has dominated headlines with trailers, posters, art work, a world press tour and more, leading up to its imminent release as the first 2013 summer feature, meanwhile Thor: The Dark World has remained mostly under the radar.
This will change very soon when moviegoers get their first look at director Alan Taylor’s (Game of Thrones) more realistic take on the realm of Asgard when Tony Stark returns to the silver screen. And we already have an idea of what we may see.
Nigel Cook, Vice President of Marvel International, took to the stage during the Disney Consumer Show in Mexico yesterday in a presentation about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In addition to showcasing Iron Man 3 footage, as a surprise for the attendees Cook also introduced and played the first trailer for Thor: The Dark World and as a result – much like the leaked Iron Man 3 trailer description – we have a summary of some of the key scenes in it thanks to the Marvel Cómics México Facebook page.
It was a quick introduction with no explanation and Marvel let the footage speak for itself. We translated and summarized their description of what was shown so quotes may not be accurate. The Thor 2 segment began with a slideshow of familiar imagery and set photos, before playing the full trailer:
- Trailer opens with Thor’s voiceover, as quick scenes of action are shown, along with Jane Foster in her Asgardian attire and people on Earth running from “something”
- Thor tells Jane he promised he would return and scenes are shown of Thor coming to Earth and taking Jane to back to Asgard.
- The action sequences are reportedly “incredible” and Thor is shown taking a beating. He’s fatigued and Malekith, leader of the Dark Elves, is shown completely unafraid of Thor.
- A futuristic glass prison is shown, and Loki sits within after the events of The Avengers.
- Thor comes to him and says “I need your help, but if you betray me, I will kill you.”
- Loki [smirking] responds: “What is it I must do?”
- Thor is shown fighting Malekith as Jane watches. Malekith threatens her, as a beaten Thor eyes the Dark Elf King and screams “Noooo!”
Cook also explained at the event that fans will see this same trailer in “15 days” which is exactly two weeks from today, April 26th – the Mexican and European theatrical release date for Iron Man 3. For North American audiences, count on that trailer playing a week later when Iron Man 3 opens here.
We unfortunately don’t have details on the action sequences but we can expect to see many Asgardian soldiers along with Sif and the Warriors Three in battle, alongside Thor. We’ll find out in just two weeks!
UPDATE: Agent M. – a.ka. Ryan Penagos, the executive editor at Marvel Digital and Marvel.com – has confirmed that the trailer for Thor: The Dark World will be dropping next week. Check out his tweet below:
I can confirm that the teaser for #ThorDarkWorld will arrive next week! Much more info soon!— Ryan Penagos (@AgentM) April 18, 2013
Iron Man 3 releases May 3, 2013, Thor: The Dark World on November 8, 2013, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014, The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015 and Ant-Man on November 6, 2015.
Let me know on Twitter @rob_keyes if Thor 2 is your most anticipated Marvel movie!
Source: Marvel Cómics México
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!