The results have been revealed for the 2009 DVD Critics Awards, which are presented every year (for the last five years) by Home Media Magazine, honoring DVD and Blu-ray titles from the previous year. The awards are usually held in conjunction with the Home Entertainment Summit, but the latter has been delayed due to scheduling conflicts. Nonetheless, the awards were given out and the critically acclaimed and much-loved Batman film, The Dark Knight, scooped up the most awards.
For the first time in five years, a TV DVD set has taken the top "2009 Critics Awards' Title of the Year" in the form of The Sopranos: The Complete Series, which also earned the award for Best Collection/Multidisc set. But apart from that, The Dark Knight dominated with four awards. The awards were a mix of critics and judges' votes, and online consumers (the latter in special categories such as "Best Superhero Title"). It's not a surprise to hear that TDK dominated in the consumer categories.
Take a look at just how well TDK did, along with the rest of the results below:
2009 DVD Critics Award Winners:
• Title of the Year: The Sopranos: The Complete Series, HBO Home Entertainment
• Best Theatrical Title: The Dark Knight, Warner Home Video
• Best TV DVD: Mad Men: Season One, Lionsgate
• Best Classic/Catalog Title: The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Gift Set, Paramount Home Entertainment
• Best Collection/Multidisc Set: The Sopranos: The Complete Series, HBO Home Entertainment
• Best Nonfiction Title: Young @ Heart, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
• Best Animation Title: Wall-E, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
• Best Kidvid Title: Tinker Bell, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
• Best Nontheatrical Title: Stargate: Continuum, Fox/MGM
• Best Extended Cut/Director's Cut: Step Brothers, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
• Best Extras: Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Universal Studios Home Entertainment
• Best Packaging: Masters of Horror: Season Two, Anchor Bay Entertainment
• Best Blu-ray Disc: Planet of the Apes: 40-Year Evolution, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Consumer's Choice Categories:
• Consumer Favorite DVD/Blu-ray Release: The Dark Knight, Warner Home Video
• Funniest DVD/Blu-ray: Robot Chicken: Star Wars, Warner Home Video
• Best Action Title: The Dark Knight, Warner Home Video
• Best Sci-Fi Title: Wall-E, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
• Best Superhero Title: The Dark Knight, Warner Home Video
• Best Western Title: 3:10 to Yuma, Lionsgate
• Best Period Piece: Band of Brothers (Blu-ray), HBO Home Entertainment
• Best Single Extra: The Making-Of Documentary on Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
I bought The Dark Knight Special Edition DVD as soon as it came out late last year, and have watched it (and its excellent special features) many times since. It's really no surprise it won so many of these awards, considering how much of a hit it was with critics and fans alike. I'm just surprised people didn't try to vote for it in the comedy category - you know, because some of The Joker's lines were hilarious...
What do you think of the results of the 2009 DVD Critics Awards? Was The Dark Knight worthy of winning the most awards? I think we know the answer to that, but let us know anyway.