Update: Thank goodness. This rumor is finally getting debunked. See Post.
Our friends over at Latino Review have correctly dubbed this following rumor as the "stupid news of the day." They heard from the super-reliable sources over at Hollyscoop (sarcasm alert!) that young pop music sensation Taylor Swift is being considered for the role of Supergirl.
The Supergirl project that has sparked this rumor is reportedly called Supergirl! The Love Story and that sound - like the crackle of distant thunder - you just heard was the collective sound of thousands of people across the world slapping their foreheads.
Oh Kanye West, why didn't you save your ridiculous outburst for the moment when we would truly need it?
Here is what Hollyscoop managed to get out of somebody, somewhere, somewhen, who is somehow involved with this Supergirl project:
Hollywood is short of female heroes and the time is right for a new Supergirl. A number of young stars are being mentioned for the title role in a Supergirl movie and possible TV spin-off and Taylor is top of that list. She has all the right elements to be a positive role model to young girls.”
Thanks unnamed Hollywood source! Nothing about what you just said sounds official at all!
Latino Review, it should be noted, is just as skeptical about all this as we here at Screen Rant are - so why report it? Because it has the ring of one of those crazy rumors that might actually come true. Hopefully not (by all that's holy!) but, at the same time, possible.
No more discussion, let's tear into this rumor, shall we?
- Supergirl! The Love Story is a terrible title. Terrible. Are they trying to have guys avoid this film like the plague?
- Can Taylor Swift even act? She's in an upcoming movie (Valentine's Day) and hosted SNL, but that's not much to go on...
- What about this girl's lanky frame looks "super?" What, is her boyfriend Taylor Lautner (New Moon) going to help her beef up for the role?
- How would this casting NOT be exploitative of Swift's current 15 min as America's put-upon pop sweetheart.
- How could this film go into production when a Superman film can't even get made?
- Would this film have any connection to the Superman movie universe?
- No, really, where is Kanye when you actually need him???
There was a Supergirl film released back in 1984, starring Helen Slater (who now does TV bit roles, including a 2007 stint on Smallville), but that film was a disaster. So far, Supergirl! The Love Story is sounding like a repeat of history - and if Taylor Swift ever suits up for it you can count me out. I could rant all day on why I don't care for the girl - as a so-called "artist" or even as America's inexplicable fixation of the moment. But hey, why be a hater?
Let's just all take a minute and wait and see if this rumor gets slayed (as it should). Sorry if it ruined your day. If it makes you feel better: toss us the names of some actresses that would be better suited for a role as Supergirl.
Update: io9 has a source close to Taylor Swift's camp and the word from that end is that "nothing is planned" for Swift to star as Supergirl. Reportedly this is all just the lounge-talk of Hollywood suits (at best). We'll keep you updated.
No word on when Supergirl! The Love Story would be in theaters.
Sources: Hollyscoop via Latino Review
Update Source: io9
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!