The fans of Ted Kord a.k.a. DC's Blue Beetle may believe that the hero's murder as part of the Infinite Crisis event was a tragedy. But now that the death is being revisited and reversed... it looks like death may have been a better fate for Kord than the alternative. In short, becoming the worst villain the DC Universe ever faced.
That's how it looks Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1 will be ruling, as writer James Tynion IV and artists Aaron Lopresti and Matt Ryan ask: what would have transpired if Kord lived? The issue itself won't be revealing the full story until November 27th, but thanks to DC's early preview, fans can start putting the pieces together. Beginning with the cover art by Lee Weeks, showing a dark combination of Blue Beetle and the A.I. OMAC... holding the trinkets of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Batman up as trophies. Oh Ted, what have you done?
For those who may not recall, the Infinite Crisis event was set into motion when Maxwell Lord murdered Ted Kord (don't worry, Wonder Woman eventually killed Lord, too). But after Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Knightfall showed what would've happened if Batman had lost to Azrael, the question being posed with Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis is much, much darker. In short: how cruel would Kord have become if he hadn't been murdered? Readers can check out the official preview pages released by DC, as well as the official plot synopsis below:
- Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1
- Release Date: November 27th, 2019
- Written by James TynionIV
- Art by: Aaron Lopresti, Matt Ryan
- Cover Art by: Lee Weeks
- DC's mega-event Infinite Crisis saw the dissolution of the Trinity, the rise of Alexander Luthor and Superboy-Prime, and the rebirth of the Multiverse... but it started with Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle, who saw it all coming and died with secrets that could've saved the world.
- But... things happened differently in the Dark Multiverse! In the fourth Tales from the Dark Multiverse one-shot, not only does Blue Beetle survive—he thrives! And after killing Maxwell Lord himself, Ted sets off a chain of events that irreversibly alters the lives of the Justice League and his best friend, Booster Gold. In trying to prevent a crisis, Blue Beetle becomes the Crisis...and the Dark Multiverse will never be the same.
Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1 will be available at your local comic book shop on November 27th, 2019.