ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD. Syfy has announced plans to celebrate the unofficial holiday known as 4/20 with a Futurama marathon that's all about celebrating that lovable, charismatic, handsome and all-powerful creature known as the Hypnotoad.
Created by Matt Groening (of The Simpsons fame), Futurama ran for a total of seven seasons between 1999 and 2013 - with the first four seasons airing on Fox, and the latter three (including season 5, which was originally released as four direct-to-video movies) on Comedy Central. Late last year the rights to the entire series were picked up by Syfy, and the network isn't letting those rights go to waste.
Syfy has announced (via ComicBook) that from 8pm-2am E.T. on April 20th - the holiday celebrated by cannabis smokers worldwide - viewers are invited to get "high on Hypnotoad" with a marathon of twelve Futurama episodes "selected for maximum trip-enhancing effect and Hypnotoad-centricity." The marathon will kick off with the season 5 movie "Bender's Big Score." Here are all of the episodes you can expect to see when the Hypnotoad takes over:
- 8/7c – Bender’s Big Score Part 1: Earth is taken over by email-scamming aliens while Hermes loses his head and Leela falls in love.
- 8:30/7:30c – Bender’s Big Score Part 2: While Lars and Leela's romance takes off, Bender helps aliens pillage history for its treasures.
- 9/8c – Bender’s Big Score Part 3: Leela and Lars prepare to get married, and we learn what happened to Fry when he returned to the 21st Century.
- 9:30/10:30c – Bender’s Big Score Part 4: Lars reveals his secret as the humans fight back against the aliens.
- 10/9c – The Day The Earth Stood Stupid: Only Fry can save Earth when evil brains from another world plot to make everyone stupid.
- 10:30/9:30c – Three Hundred Big Boys: When each Earthican receives a $300 government refund, the Planet Express crew members pursue their respective dreams and desires.
- 11/10c – The Sting: A killer bee sting sends Leela on a long, strange trip.
- 11:30/10:30c – Bender Should Not Be Allowed on Television: Bender becomes a television star, as well as a terrible role model for children.
- 12am/11c – Rebirth: After a devastating spaceship crash, the Professor attempts to resuscitate the crew with his birth machine.
- 12:32am/11:32c – Mobius Dick: Leela becomes obsessed with hunting down a mysterious, four-dimensional space whale.
- 1:01am/12:01c – Reincarnation: FUTURAMA is reconceived in three alternate animation styles: classic black-and-white, old-school video game and Japanese anime.
- 1:31am/12:31c – Decision 3012: Leela becomes campaign manager for a presidential candidate whose birth certificate is mysteriously missing.
Not much is known about Hypnotoad's origins, but in the world of Futurama he is the star of the popular TV show Everybody Loves Hypnotoad, which consists of a single camera shot fixed on Hypnotoad for the duration of each episode. Hypnotoad himself will be in charge of the Syfy marathon, "complete with his own far-out logo, psychedelic sidebar, and hypnotic interruptions."
Last year saw a continuation of Futurama in the form of a mobile game called Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow and a special podcast episode titled Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow Presents, RADIORAMA!, hosted by The Nerdist. On a holiday such as 4/20, however, there's no better way to celebrate than by kicking back with a bowl of snacks and some classic Futurama episodes, and submitting to the will of the Hypnotoad.