CBS is joining the superhero game with Supergirl, a DC comics television series adaptation created by Ali Adler (Chuck) and Greg Berlanti (co-creator of The CW’s Arrow and The Flash DC TV shows), and is headlined by Glee alum Melissa Benoist as Superman’s cousin, Kara Danvers/Zor-El. The Supergirl pilot was shown to the general public at the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con, after being leaked (or, depending on what you believe, “leaked”) online before then.
The Supergirl comic book mythos isn’t common knowledge in the way that the Superman mythology is (or the mythos for other Justice League members, such as Batman, Wonder Woman, and so forth). As such, the ongoing marketing push for Supergirl has shifted to focus on the show’s general qualities – respectable TV special effects/action, as well as a brighter and more upbeat tone compared to certain other comic book TV show adaptations (looking at you, Arrow), to be exact.
TVLine has now unveiled a series of Supergirl promotional cast photos that feature the show’s main cast members. We’ve included additional details (including official character descriptions) along with those images below, to help those who are less familiar with the Supergirl mythology – and thus, are still working to nail down who’s who on the upcoming live-action series.
- Melissa Benoist (Glee) is Kara Danvers/Zor-el, Superman’s cousin, who also escaped the dying planet Krypton and (in the show’s present-day) is now in her mid-20s, having kept the truth about her heritage a secret for 12 years. At that point, Kara “decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.”
- Chyler Leigh (Grey’s Anatomy) is Alex Danvers, Kara’s foster sister and the person who “Kara grew up in the shadow of.” However, when Alex (a bioengineer) starts working for a secret government organization, it’s not long before she’s looking up to Kara and her superhuman abilities.
- Jeremy Jordan (The Last Five Years) as Winslow “Winn” Schott, Kara’s co-worker who soon learns that she is the ‘girl’ behind the mysterious Supergirl. He could become Kara’s enemy on the Supergirl series one day too, if the show remain true to the character’s tendencies in the source comic books.
- Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal, Brothers & Sisters) as Cat Grant, Kara’s boss and the “media mogul and fierce taskmaster” who runs the global powerhouse that is CatCo.
- Mehcad Brooks (True Blood) as James Olsen, the Daily Planet’s former photographer who’s now the art director for CatCo. Naturally, he has some vital information to provide Kara, thanks to his time working alongside her cousin.
- David Harewood (Homeland) as Hank Henshaw, the head of a secret organization that recruits Kara and Alex to protect National City from “sinister threats,” in particular those of the extraterrestrial variety. Hank is another fellow who starts out as Kara’s ally, but could end up becoming Supergirl’s opponent somewhere down the line (again, in keeping with his comic book history).
Supergirl premieres on CBS at 8:30 p.m. EST on October 26th, 2015. It will air at 8 p.m. EST on Mondays thereafter.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!