Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says the next Star Wars anthology movie will be determined sometime next month. Aside from the fact that Disney had acquired Lucasfilm all those years ago and subsequently announced plans to produce the long-awaited sequel trilogy, the thing that got fans talking was the Mouse House's plans to release anthology movies as well. In between episodes, anthology movies will release that explore the various aspects of the ongoing narrative.
The first anthology movie to release was Gareth Edwards' Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which centered on the Rebellion's plot to steal the Death Star plans; the same plans that were used to destroy the Imperial space station in A New Hope. Its overwhelming success gave Lucasfilm the confidence they needed to push forward with the rest of their plans, beginning with Phil Lord and Chris Miller's untitled Han Solo prequel next year. The question is, what comes after that?
As part of the recent wave of news regarding Star Wars: The Last Jedi (which coincides with the 40th anniversary of George Lucas' original Star Wars film), Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told Vanity Fair that they will be deciding next month on the status of the third anthology film.
"Yes. We haven’t identified it yet, but yes. We have a couple of things right now that we’re circling, and we’ll make a decision between the two pretty shortly. It’s probably for 2020, and we will make a decision by June."
Kennedy's comments fall in-line with what she said at Star Wars Celebration 2017 last month. At that time, she was only prepared to say that the studio would be deciding on the next anthology chapter sometime this summer, but now she says that decision will happen by June. What's more, she says that they will be deciding between two options. Rumors have suggested that the third anthology movie would be centered on Boba Fett, while fans have been clamoring for Ewan McGregor to get his own Obi-Wan Kenobi movie.
While the story is still being determined, another thing they need to decide on is, who will be directing the third film. Chronicle director Josh Trank was originally hired to helm the project, but around the time his Fantastic Four reboot released, the director and studio parted ways. Things have certainly changed since then, especially considering that The Force Awakens and Rogue One both have released in theaters, and marketing has already begun on The Last Jedi.
Right now, though, the focus in entirely on The Last Jedi, which releases this December and reportedly takes the franchise in a different direction. Then the following year comes second anthology movie, the untitled Han Solo film, which sees Alden Ehrenreich taking over for Harrison Ford, along with Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian and Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca. After that, audiences will get the third and final episode in the sequel trilogy, Star Wars: Episode IX, which will be helmed by Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow. We'll just have to wait and see what comes after that.
Source: Vanity Fair
- Star Wars 8/Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) release date: Dec 15, 2017
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) release date: May 25, 2018
- Star Wars 9 / Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) release date: Dec 20, 2019