The release date for the Blu-ray and DVD of Star Wars Rebels has been announced with bonus features and extras. The animated television series set in the Star Wars universe produced by Lucasfilm premiered its third 22 episode season on September 24, 2016 with the final episodes "Zero Hour: Part 1" and "Zero Hour: Part 2" concluding the season on March 25, 2017.
Following the success of fellow animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Rebels takes place 14 years after the final prequel film Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and five years before the first film in the original trilogy Star Wars: A New Hope. As the Galactic Empire rises, a group of rebels unite aboard a freighter starship called Ghost and conduct covert operations against the Imperial garrison centered around the planet Lothal and others. The series includes characters Ezra Bridger, Kanan Jarrus, Hera Syndulla, Sabine Wren, Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios, Captain Rex as well as recurring characters like Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine and Ahsoka Tano.
Related: How Should Star Wars Rebels End?
According to Star Wars News Net, the third season will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on August 29, 2017, with special bonus features and extras included. Here is a statement from Disney on the release and a look at the Blu-ray cover:
Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Three delivers all 22 action-packed episodes of the hit CG animated series’ third season, plus exclusive, never-before-seen bonus material on Blu-ray™ and DVD! The story threads begin to tighten in this thrilling season of Star Wars Rebels, drawing connections to The Clone Wars, Rogue One and the original Star Wars trilogy into the series’ epic storyline. Available August 29, Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Three delivers some of the most critically-acclaimed Star Wars storytelling to date, with engaging characters, harrowing conflicts, and spectacular space battles on par with those seen in the films.
Having established a secret base on Atollon, the Ghost crew, now led by a more powerful Ezra, strengthens the Rebel fleet by acquiring new resources and recruits eager to stand against the Empire. However, the Imperial efforts to eliminate the Rebellion are now being led by the coldly analytical Grand Admiral Thrawn, whose strategic, tactical and cultural insights make him a threat unlike any they have faced before. Ezra and Sabine must take on new roles and challenges as the Rebels prepare for their biggest mission yet – a direct assault on the Empire.
The Star Wars: Rebels season 3 Blu-ray and DVD also contains some bonus features and extras on top of all 22 episodes that will delve deeper into the most recent season of Rebels. The Blu-ray edition will include:
- Return To Mandalore – Explore where Mandalore fits within the Empire’s regime – and whether Sabine can unite her people against the Imperial forces.
- Thrawn: A Legend Reborn – Learn Thrawn’s significance in Star Wars lore, and what the future may hold for this memorable villain.
- Apprentices to Outcasts: Kenobi And Maul – Track two adversaries who’ve clashed throughout Star Wars history, and find out why the time was right to conclude their story.
- The Original Rebel: Saw Gerrera Returns – Extended – Meet the Original Rebel. This exclusive extended version features Forest Whitaker discussing the character he brings to life in both Rebels and Rogue One.
- Five Audio Commentaries – Featuring Dave Filoni (Executive Producer), Justin Ridge (Supervising Director), Kilian Plunkett (Art Director), Keith Kellogg (Animation Supervisor) and Joel Aron (CG Supervisor: Lighting & FX)
The DVD will also feature bonus content including:
- A Rebel Alliance – Discover how the formation of the Rebel Alliance in Rebels ties into the Rogue One timeline – and the exciting story possibilities that lie ahead for season 4.
- Rebels Recon – Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew in 19 entertaining and information-packed episode recaps.
Star Wars: Rebels will return for season 4 on Disney XD.
Source: Star Wars News Net