Rebels takes place between the eras of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope, helping to flesh-out the story of how The Republic's fall and the Empire's rise led to the beginning of the Galactic Rebellion. In previous Rebels previews, we've been introduced to the following rag-tag band of would-be rebels (CLICK any of their names for more info):
- Kanan (Freddie Prinze Jr.) - A Jedi who masquerades as a cowboy-style smuggler after the fall of the Republic to avoid being assassinated.
- Ezra (Taylor Gray) - A street-wise young ruffian from Lothal, who has powerful but dormant Force abilities.
- Zeb (Steve Blum) - Alien "muscle" with an unexpected level of intelligence.
- Sabine (Tiya Sircar) - Mandalorian saboteur with a penchant for graffiti art.
- Hera (Vanessa Marshall) - Twi-lek pilot and mother figure to the rebels group.
- Chopper - The team's loyal-but-curmudgeonly droid.
However, Star Wars needs as many good villains as it does heroes, and Rebels will offer that villain in the form of The Inquisitor, a Sith-style hunter who combs the galaxy in search of the remaining Jedi. He will be voiced by Harry Potter and Awake star, Jason Isaacs, and you can learn more about him in the video above. Most Importantly: The Inquisitor is NOT an official Sith Lord, though he uses the Darkside and signature red blades. There's a story there, we're sure - and it's one we admittedly want to see!
Joining the inquisitor in his mission is Agent Kallus (David Oyelowo), an FBI-type (or Gestapo-type, take your pick) agent tasked with hunting down any pockets of rebellion within the empire.
If Star Wars Episode VII rumors are to be believed, The Inquisitor and Agent Kallus' dark legacy could continue long after the fall of the Empire, as "Jedi Hunters" are rumored to still be combing the galaxy. We'll see if any of that actually pans out, as more Episode VII details come to light.
In the meantime, Star Wars Rebels will premiere on Disney XD in Fall 2014 with a one-hour special; and more details about the show (and hopefully the larger Star Wars universe) will be revealed at the Star Wars Comic-Con 2014 Panel.