Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi stars Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley announced a new Force For Change initiative on ABC's Good Morning America Tuesday, as part of the 40th anniversary celebration of the Star Wars franchise. GMA teased the announcement in a tweet Monday, kicking off an exciting week for Star Wars fans that will shift to Star Wars Celebration in Orlando Thursday through Sunday.
In a video announcement (see above), Hamill and Ridley announced the opportunity for fans to win three "Epic Star Wars Experiences" in conjunction with Omaze. The funds raised from the initiative will go to benefit UNICEF and the Starlight Children’s Foundation.
The three experiences have been inspired by past, present and future of the Star Wars saga. In a press release announcement, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy says:
“In a year that we celebrate 40 years of the Star Wars saga, I continue to be inspired by the incredible generosity and charitable efforts of our fans. We are so proud of their tireless dedication to positively impact the lives of children and others around the world, and hope this year’s Force For Change campaign will offer a few of those wonderful fans an experience they will never forget.
The Force For Change initiative will run from April 11 to May 11. Throughout the period, three winners will be selected at random to win one of the following experiences:
- Past – A one-night stay at the Skywalker Inn, a tour of the archives and Lucasfilm Ranch, and a screening of Star Wars: A New Hope.
- Present – The opportunity to join the cast and attend the Star Wars: The Last Jedi premiere and exclusive after party.
- Future – The opportunity to visit the set of the upcoming untitled young Han Solo movie, meet directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, and have the chance to appear in film.
A grand prize winner will be selected at the end of the Force For Change initiative to win all three experiences. Fans can enter the contest, donate funds and follow updates on the experience at Omaze.
News of the pending announcement Monday had Star Wars fans wondering just exactly what the big reveal on GMA would be, from the debut of a trailer for The Last Jedi to the long-awaited original, unaltered versions of Episodes IV, V, and VI on Blu-ray. The announcement of the Force For Change initiative, however, is an exciting one, and not just because of the experiences it holds in store for four lucky Star Wars fans.
Since 2014, Force For Change has done some amazing, life-changing things for suffering kids around the world, and the new one connected to The Last Jedi will continue to spread the goodwill - and best of all, give thousands of disadvantaged kids a new hope. Isn't that what Star Wars is all about?
Source: Lucasfilm, Omaze
- Star Wars 8/Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) release date: Dec 15, 2017
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) release date: May 25, 2018
- Star Wars 9 / Star Wars: Episode IX (2019) release date: Dec 20, 2019