Though some fans' reaction to Star Wars Battlefront were at best lukewarm (including our own), the game performed quite well for EA Games, easily beating their initial sales forecast. That boost in sales can likely be credited to a few factors, including the holiday shopping season and the enormous excitement surrounding anything Star Wars, but what's key with any shooter like Battlefront isn't just selling copies - it's keeping players engaged long after its release.
Most games achieve continued interest through DLC (downloadable content) and Star Wars Battlefront is no different, already offering players a free DLC - Battle for Jakku - that included a new map and game mode. However, moving forward most DLCs will be available either through individual purchase or a season pass, with the first planned paid DLC to drop early 2016. There's been no word on just what the upcoming DLC will offer, but EA had earlier teased some sort of announcement concerning Star Wars Battlefront for today.
Here's the tweet from the official EA Star Wars account yesterday that teased a "cold front" was on the way:
— EAStarWars (@EAStarWars) January 25, 2016
From the tease it was obvious today's news would deal with Hoth, Luke and Han, or both. And it does. Over the holiday season there was a challenge that asked players to collectively log 500,000 hours playing as Luke and Han, and if completed, a reward of sorts would be revealed. Tomorrow, the following free content is being added to the game for all Star Wars Battlefront players:
- The Tatooine Survival map will now support the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes, and is called Raider Camp.
- New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, both of which will be available to all fans when they play as these two iconic characters on Hoth – these were unlocked by our players for completing our Heroes’ Holiday community mission last month.
- We are giving players the ability to create Private Matches, which makes playing with friends even easier.
- The introduction of Daily Challenges and Community Events. These are designed to rally the Community around certain goals and objectives, giving players the chance to earn credits and unlocks even faster. More news regarding Community Events and Daily Challenges in the days ahead.
- And of course, some overall balancing tweaks to both weapons and multiplayer modes.
More Free Content On The Way
Fans were understandably irritated by the inflated price of the season pass, so any thing EA can bring the Battlefront community for free (other than skins and emotes, that is) would be well received. Continuing its efforts to earn a more positive reputation in light of Battlefront's aggressive Season Pass and DLC plans and shallow launch content - and lack of a single-player story - more free content is indeed on the way beyond what's listed above.
- February will see a new Survival mission on Hoth, and a brand-new Hoth multiplayer map that will support our larger game modes including Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron and Turning Point. Turning Point will become available on all maps that currently support Walker Assault and Supremacy in the February update.
- March adds a new multiplayer map on Endor that will support Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Turning Point, and an additional Tatooine Survival map.
More Heroes Are Coming! Season Pass DLC Unveiled
As for the paid content, asking players to pay a steep price for future content, not knowing what it is, was another tough blow but DICE is finally able to outline some of what's coming in Star Wars Battlefront's actual expansions. The digital expansion packs will add maps and modes, heroes, weapons, and more.
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Outer Rim (March 2016) - Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Bespin (Summer 2016) - It's hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
The third expansion pack coming this fall and focusing on the Death Star is no doubt timed with this December's theatrical release of the first Anthology spinoff film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which of course deals with rebels fighting to steal the original Death Star plans. Smart marketing! As for the unannounced early 2017 expansion, perhaps that covers spoilery material that Disney is not yet ready to share, or perhaps it's still in the planning stages. The DLC seems to end in 2017 so expect Battlefront 2 to come Fall 2017, alternating years between DICE's other big shooter franchise (Battlefield 5 is expected this fall).
Star Wars: Battlefront launched on November 17, 2015 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.What A Live-Action Omega Red Could Look Like in MCU X-Men Movies
Leave A Comment