While the expanded universe of Star Wars books and video games is no longer canon since Disney acquired Lucasfilm and began fleshing out the mythos with official tie-ins (comics and animated series going forward will be a part of this shared continuity), the stories and characters will still serve as a great source of inspiration.
Those old stories and characters fall under the Star Wars Legends banner and at least on element of the EU is seemingly being adapted for Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens. When Domhnall Gleeson's character, General Hux, was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con, the British actor confirmed what we learned from toy descriptions that the snowy planet housing First Order armors revealed in the trailer was called the Starkiller Base. We can now also confirm that the Starkiller is much more than a base.
Tied with Disney's 'Force Friday' Star Wars merchandise marketing campaign, the official starwars.com website has updated its official Databank with several interesting new entries from Star Wars 7. The most notable and intriguing of these is the official description of the Starkiller Base:
An ice planet converted into a stronghold of the First Order and armed with a fiercely destructive new weapon capable of destroying entire star systems.
The word "Starkiller" is a nod to the original last name of original trilogy protagonist Luke Skywalker, later used as the name of the protagonist in the Star Wars: Force Unleashed video games. In the official saga canon, it's now a superweapon more destructive than the Death Stars used by the Imperials. And it's vaguely similar sounding to a certain superweapon from the Expanded Universe known as the Sun Crusher.
Where the Death Star was the size of a "small moon" the Sun Crusher was tiny by comparison, the size of a starfighter. Its weapons could make a star go supernova, taking with it an entire solar system. Simply put, it was exponentially more dangerous than either of the Death Stars and it's possible the Starkiller base features something that functions similarly.
The Death Stars were mobile starbases that could travel from system to system to eradicate planets individually. Since the Starkiller Base is an ice planet, we're unsure of the superweapon described in the Databank is a long-range weapon mounted to the base that can fire at or launch projectiles across the galaxy or if it houses a ship that can fly to other systems and blow them up.
What's also interesting about the Starkiller Base revelation is how it ties into original rumors of Domhnall Gleeson's character which had him potentially playing both sides just to stop The First Order and The Resistance from each having superweapons.
There are also many other Databank entries recently added as well, just awaiting official imagery:
- GOSS TOOWERS - Goss Toowers is part of the tireless technical crew that provides mechanical support to the Resistance’s fleet of starfighters.
- TASU LEECH - Tasu Leech leads the notorious Kanjiklub gang, an intergalactic criminal organization.
- B-U4D (BUFORD) - Tough and hard-working, B-U4D (Buford) is part of the ground crew that keeps the Resistance starfighters fueled and combat-ready.
- RESISTANCE TROOPERS - Soldiers of the Resistance are well trained and well equipped, but must rely on hit-and-run tactics when faced with the overwhelming might of the First Order.
- FIRST ORDER FLAMETROOPERS - Specialized Stormtroopers of the First Order, Flametroopers carry incendiary weapons that can transform any battlefield into an infernal blaze.
- FIRST ORDER RIOT CONTROL STORMTROOPERS - Armed with specialized weapons, the First Order’s Riot Control Stormtroopers are trained to subdue crowds in the most ruthlessly efficient manner possible.
- FIRST ORDER INTERROGATOR DROID - Prisoners of the First Order are compelled to divulge their deepest secrets when subjected to the terrible Interrogator Droid under the command of Kylo Ren.
- FIRST ORDER SNOWSPEEDER - The First Order deploys these fast, maneuverable gunboats for combat in subzero climates.
- UNKAR'S THUGS - The strong-armed bullies who work for junk dealer Unkar Plutt help keep his scavenging business running on the remote, lawless world of Jakku.
- ELLO ASTY - Ello Asty is a skilled if occasionally reckless X-wing starfighter pilot for the Resistance.
- GUAVIAN DEATH GANG ENFORCERS - The security soldiers of the Guavian Death Gang wear high impact armor that makes them stand out among other deadly criminals.
- PZ-4CO (PEAZY-FOURSEEO) - PZ-4CO is a constant fixture in Resistance base control rooms, offering tactical data and communications support during important operations.
- SARCO PLANK - A scavenger and trader who scours frontier worlds for riches, Sarco Plank must wear a specialized mask that keeps his native atmosphere circulating through his alien lungs.
Some of these characters and vehicles noticeably don't have toys (yet) which makes us thing that closer to the holiday season and release of The Force Awakens in theaters, there could be additional waves of new merchandise. Because who doesn't want an updated snowspeeder!?
Star Wars: Rebels Season 2 returns October 14, 2015.
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens hits theaters on December 18th, 2015, followed by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on December 16th, 2016, Star Wars: Episode VIII on May 26th, 2017, and the Han Solo Star Wars Anthology film on May 25th, 2018. Star Wars: Episode IX is expected to reach theaters in 2019, followed by the third Star Wars Anthology film in 2020.