Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse producer Chris Miller says the film will hit Blu-ray in March, following its premiere on Digital next week. The animated superhero adventure swung into theaters back in December and has since grossed more than double its $90 million production budget at the U.S. box office alone.
Into the Spider-Verse marks the big screen debut for Miles Morales, who was introduced in the Ultimate Marvel comic book line back in 2011. The movie follows the Brooklyn-based teenager as he gains his spider-powers and learns the ropes of being a superhero, with the guidance of web-slingers from parallel dimensions like Spider-Gwen, Spider-Ham, and an alternate universe Peter Parker. Sony's animated feature got an enthusiastic reception from both critics and general audiences when it opened in theaters, so one imagines plenty of people are planning to buy the film when it arrives on the home video market.
Miller took to Twitter to confirm Into the Spider-Verse will premiere on Digital next week on Tuesday, February 26, followed by its release on Blu-ray three weeks later on March 19. The film was written by Miller's frequent collaborator Phil Lord and their 22 Jump Street cowriter Rodney Rothman. Bob Persichetti and Peter Ramsey co-directed the movie with Rothman and share its Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature with Lord and Miller. You can check out the movie's Digital and Blu-ray promo artwork (from Miller's tweet), below.
Into the Spider-Verse is easily the favorite to win Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards ceremony next Sunday, ahead of competition like Isle of Dogs and Incredibles 2. An Oscar win would no doubt benefit the home video sales and encourage those who skipped the film in theaters to finally see what all the fuss is about. Among other things, the movie has been celebrated for its dazzling and expressive animation, which meticulously emulates the look and feel of hand-drawn comic book panels. For that reason, Into the Spider-Verse should look just as impressive at home on a high-resolution television (or any screen really) as it did in theaters.
Of course, as Miller noted in his Twitter post, those who still want to see Into the Spider-Verse on the big screen can do so, ahead of this weekend's Oscar show. Miller also promised the film's Blu-ray will come with a "Kingpin-sized ton" of extras and bonus features, including a Spider-Ham short. There's much more content to come from the animated Spider-Verse in the future too. Now that the first movie's a proper box office success, Sony is guaranteed to move full speed ahead with the Into the Spider-Verse sequel, along with a spinoff that's confirmed to focus on female web-crawlers like Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Spider-Woman.
UPDATE: Here's the official rundown of special features included with Into the Spider-Verse's Blu-ray:
- We Are Spider-Man: Exploring and celebrating one of the key themes of the film, We Are Spider-Man takes a deep dive into the diversity of the characters and aspirational core that any person from any gender or cultural background can wear the mask.
- Spider-Verse: A New Dimension: With a stunning visual style and state of the art animation designed to take the viewer into the pages of a comic, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is not only a love letter to comic books but a groundbreaking take on the super hero genre. Hear from the artists and filmmakers who pushed the boundaries of the artform as they discuss their journey.
- The Ultimate Comics Cast: Enjoy this showcase of all of the fan favorite characters featured in the Spider-Verse and the spectacular cast who were chosen to bring them to life.
- A Tribute to Stan Lee & Steve Ditko: Celebrate the amazing legacy and powerful spirit of the creators of Spider-Man.
- The Spider-Verse Super-Fan Easter Egg Challenge: The Spider-Verse is loaded with Easter Eggs, from cameos to comics references. Fans are challenged to find them all!
- Designing Cinematic Comics Characters: A breakdown of all aspects of the character design including costume, movement in animation, and distinct powers for each character.
- Heroes & Hams: Meet the amazing Spider-people of the Spider-Verse.
- Scorpions and Scoundrels: Explore the classic villains who wreak havoc on the Spider-Verse.
- Alternate Universe Mode: In this all-new viewing experience, discover alternate scenes, plotlines, characters, and more with the filmmakers as your guide.
- 2 Lyric Videos
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone and Swae Lee
- “Familia” by Nicki Minaj & Anuel AA (feat. Bantu)
- All-New Original Short “Spider-Ham: Caught In a Ham” It's another normal day for Peter Porker, a.k.a. the Spectacular Spider-Ham, fighting bad guys and loving hot dogs, until a mysterious portal starts messing with the very fabric of his cartoon reality.
Source: Chris Miller