Eighty years ago, Marvel Comics was born. And eighty years from now will be the rise of Marvel 2099. That symmetry is being hailed by Marvel as the perfect timing to bring Spider-Man 2099 hurtling back through time to the modern day. And he's coming in search of the one hero who can possibly save the future: Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man.
When Marvel made the announcement of the coming event, it soon became clear that beginning with this week's Amazing Spider-Man #3, the expansive and outlandish future of the Marvel 2099 universe to the spotlight. Spider-Man 2099 started the event in the previous issue, erupting into the modern day, and soon being taken captive by Roxxon forces. He escaped (falling several stories into a New York street), but the first official preview for Amazing Spider-Man #33 sees him bounce back, knowing how much is at stake. And how much could be lost, if he doesn't ge to Spider-Man--fast.
The books confirmed for the crossover already include Doom 2099, (assumed to be the antagonist of this story, despite originally being a future hero), Ghost Rider 2099, X-Men 2099, and Hulk 2099. The core story will run through the next three Amazing Spider-Man issues, and begin and end with a 2099 Alpha and 2099 Omega. The true impact of the story can't yet be predicted, but for now, fans can dive in with the preview pages below:
Assuming Peter Parker's mix-up with Foreigner and Silver Sable doesn't end in catastrophic bloodshed (which, hey, it always could), it remains to be seen how he'll take the return of Miguel O'Hara. Hearing that he's the key to the future is exactly the kind of challenge a hero like Spider-Man embraces, but the true scale of the 2099 event isn't known just yet. Still, if it was bad enough for Miguel to give up hope and retreat... the next few issues will be more than a little interesting. Find the full issue details and plot synopsis below:
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33
- Release Date: November 6th, 2019
- Written by: Nick Spencer
- Art by: Patrick Gleason, Matthew Wilson
- Cover Art by: Patrick Gleason, Matthew Wilson
- Unbeknownst to Peter Parker, the Spider-Man of the year 2099--Miguel O'Hara--has come back to the present to find him. Miguel was captured and experiment on by ROXXON but he narrowly escaped Roxxon's Berserkers by jumping through a window high above Manhattan.
- THE FUTURE IS IN PERIL! Miguel O'Hara's mysterious return to the present threatens his life and his entire future. But why? As for OUR time's Spider-Man, he's got his hands full with classic villains, family problems and international incidents that intertwine in terrifying ways!
Amazing Spider-Man #33 will be available at your local comic book shop on November 6th, 2019.