Marvel Comics entered the world eighty years ago this year. So to look back, the company is looking forward another eighty... to the rise of Marvel 2099. What better time to bring Spider-Man 2099 back into the modern day to preserve the timestream and the future of Marvel's Universe? But he's not back on his own. No, the Spider-Man of Tomorrow needs Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man. And to celebrate the launch of this new event, Marvel has released a brand new trailer.
The past and future have officially collided, and brought the return of the Marvel 2099 universe to the spotlight. Spider-Man 2099 started the event in the previous issue of Amazing Spider-Man, but now fans must ask: can the Spider-Men of two times set things straight, or will there be only dark times ahead for the Marvel Universe? The first chapter in the epic Amazing Spider-Man event, 2099, arrives on November 6th. To prepare, get up to speed on the story in this launch trailer featuring Executive Editor Nick Lowe and writer Nick Spencer.
Miguel O’Hara, the Spider-Man of the year 2099, travels back to our time to enlist Peter Parker’s aid in preventing the collapse of the time stream. But with Spider-Man’s past making his present tense and Doctor Doom seeking to make the future perfect, does Spidey stand a chance? Plus – see a slew of new and returning heroes and villains in a series of 2099 one-shots!
Writer Nick Spencer explains his goals in reviving an event close to thirty years after it originally debuted:
We wanted to capture the spirit of the original 2099, but while doing a completely new version and a completely new take... I was just so amazed by what we got when we let those writers loose to do whatever they want with these characters One of the great things about the original 2099 was they brought in new identities and new origins to these characters. And so we wanted to build on that, but there are still some survivors out there that are going to pick up.
"What excites me most about this," says Lowe, "is putting Nick Spencer and the rest of our writers, and the rest of our editors in the same space that the writers and editors, back in 1992, of the original 2099 did. They wanted to look at the future... The story is huge! And like a Spider-Man story should be, also really small, and about Peter Parker and his life, and everything that's going on.This isn’t an alternate timeline! This isn’t a What If…! This is the future of the Marvel Universe!"
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33
- Release Date: November 6th, 2019
- Written by: Nick Spencer
- Art by: Patrick Gleason, Matthew Wilson
- Cover Art by: Patrick Gleason, Matthew Wilson
- Unbeknownst to Peter Parker, the Spider-Man of the year 2099--Miguel O'Hara--has come back to the present to find him. Miguel was captured and experiment on by ROXXON but he narrowly escaped Roxxon's Berserkers by jumping through a window high above Manhattan.
- THE FUTURE IS IN PERIL! Miguel O'Hara's mysterious return to the present threatens his life and his entire future. But why? As for OUR time's Spider-Man, he's got his hands full with classic villains, family problems and international incidents that intertwine in terrifying ways!
Amazing Spider-Man #33 will be available at your local comic book shop on November 6th, 2019.