The 25th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards celebrated some of the most acclaimed films of 2018. From films like Black Panther and Green Book to shows and miniseries like This Is Us and Sharp Objects, the SAG Awards crossed genre lines with the evening's winners.
Starting in 1995, the Screen Actors Guild Awards - affiliated with the Screen Actors Guild‐American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (aka SAG-AFTRA) - is an awards ceremony celebrating film and television actors. Voted on by a selected group of union members, the SAG Awards distinguish themselves from other awards ceremonies in that that they exclusively revolve around actors. This includes categories like Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role, and Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, among others.
At the 2019 Screen Actors Guild Awards, the winners included actors who starred in a wide range of genres over the course of 2018. Smaller independent films like The Wife (starring nominee Glenn Close) and studio thrillers like A Quiet Place (starring nominee Emily Blunt) were recognized, and even Marvel Studios was recognized with Black Panther, which itself turned out to be an awards favorite this year. Check out the full list of SAG Award winners below:
- Cast in a Motion Picture: Black Panther
- Female Actor in a Leading Role: Glenn Close - The Wife
- Male Actor in a Leading Role: Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody
- Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Emily Blunt - A Quiet Place
- Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali - Green Book
- Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture - Black Panther
- Ensemble in a Drama Series: This Is Us
- Female Actor in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh - Killing Eve
- Male Actor in a Drama Series: Jason Bateman - Ozark
- Ensemble in a Comedy Series: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Female Actor in a Comedy Series: Rachel Brosnahan - The Marvel Mrs. Maisel
- Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Tony Shalhoub - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie: Patrica Arquette - Escape at Dannemora
- Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie: Darren Criss - The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series: Glow
While SAG Award winners aren't necessarily guaranteed wins for the Oscars, there have been a considerable amount of parallels over the years - not only in terms of the actors themselves, but for Best Picture recipients. For male actors, nine out of ten SAG winners went on to win Oscars in the past decade; while eight out of ten female SAG winners went on to win Oscars in the past decade. For Best Picture, the similarities aren't quite as strong, with five out of ten films in the past decade that earned Ensemble Cast wins at the SAG Awards winning Best Picture at the Oscars. So, for awards enthusiasts, the Screen Actors Guild Awards may help predictions in some cases, but they're not entirely reliable when it comes to non-acting categories.
Source: Screen Actors Guild Awards