It's time to visit the town with pep once again, as Riverdale returns for season 4 on The CW - with a host of returning characters, and a few new cast members as well. The show was created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, and is a dark and mature adaptation of the world of Archie Comics.
The most difficult change to Riverdale's cast this season is the loss of Luke Perry, who played Archie's father Fred Andrews, and who sadly passed away earlier this year. Riverdale season 4 will open with the episode "In Memoriam," in tribute to Perry, which will also feature Perry's former Beverly Hills 90210 co-star Shannen Doherty. The actress will play a character who breaks the news of what happened to Fred, and becomes a source of comfort for Archie.
The four main members of the gang will naturally be returning, along with friends like Cheryl and Kevin. Riverdale season 4 will also introduce Mishel Prada as Veronica's sister, Hermosa, as well as Kerr Smith and Sam Witwer in new roles as members as Riverdale High's staff. With season 4 running through to spring 2020, we can also expect some more casting announcements along the way as the new storylines unfold and new players enter the town of Riverdale. Here's a handy guide to who plays who in Riverdale season 4.
- KJ Apa as Archie Andrews - The red-headed main protagonist of Riverdale had a rough time in season 3, going to prison after being framed for murder and then being used in an illicit fighting ring.
- Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones - Leader of the South Side Serpents and now the son of Riverdale's sheriff, Jughead now wields a lot of power in his home town, though that power comes with its fair share of trouble.
- Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper - The daughter of the notorious Black Hood serial killer, Betty has a dark side of her own, but is better known for her dogged investigative journalism that uncovered scandals like organ-harvesting cult The Farm.
- Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge - Hailing from a family of wealth and crime, Veronica operates underground speakeasy La Bonne Nuit and has an on-again, off-again relationship with Archie.
- Mishel Prada as Hermosa Lodge - Veronica's sister, and a new addition to the cast this season.
- Casey Cott as Kevin Keller - A friend of the group, particularly Betty, Kevin was suckered into The Farm's brainwashing last season and ended up losing a kidney to cult leader Edgar Evernever.
- Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossom - Heiress to the Blossom maple syrup empire, Cheryl lost her beloved twin brother in the first season of Riverdale, and is now hoarding Jason's dead body.
- Vanessa Morgan as Toni Topaz - Former member of the South Side Serpents and now the co-leader of all-female gang the Pretty Poisons with her girlfriend, Cheryl.
- Ashleigh Murray as Josie McCoy - Leader singer of Josie and the Pussycats.
- Charles Melton as Reggie Mantle - A bartender at La Bonne Nuit, Reggie had a brief fling with Veronica.
Riverdale's kids often seem to end up shouldering the majority of the town's burdens - but that's because the grown-ups are so often up to no good or plotting against them. Here are the adult characters you can expect to see in Riverdale season 4.
- Mädchen Amick as Alice Cooper - Betty's mother and an apparent devoted follower of The Farm, until it was revealed that she was actually working with the FBI to bring down the cult. Unfortunately, Alice "ascended" along with Polly and the other followers in the season 3 finale.
- Molly Ringwald as Mary Andrews - Archie's mother, who separated from Fred Andrews but has since returned to Riverdale.
- Wyatt Nash as Charles Smith - Son of Alice Smith and FP Jones, and half-brother to both Betty and Jughead, Charles is an FBI agent who was working on taking down The Farm.
- Skeet Ulrich as FP Jones - Jughead's father, the former leader of the South Side Serpents and, by a strange turn of events, now Riverdale's town sheriff.
- Mark Consuelos as Hiram Lodge - Veronica's father and an unscrupulous mob boss who isn't above working against his own family. Hiram is currently in prison, but that won't stop him for long.
- Marisol Nichols as Hermione Lodge - Veronica's mother and the mayor of Riverdale, until she was arrested for attempting to have Hiram murdered.
- Martin Cummins as Tom Keller - Kevin's father and the former sheriff of Riverdale, Tom was acting as Archie's boxing coach in season 3.
- Nathalie Bolt as Penelope Blossom - Cheryl's mother, who was last seen after killing Betty's serial killer father, Hal Cooper.
- Alvin Sanders as Pop Tate - The proprietor of Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe, the favorite hangout spot for Riverdale's teens.
- Chad Michael Murray as Edgar Evernever - The charismatic leader of The Farm is expected to make a return in Riverdale season 4 as that storyline wraps up.
- Kerr Smith as Mr. Honey - A new addition for Riverdale season 4, Mr. Honey will take over as the new principal at Riverdale High.
- Sam Witwer as Mr. Chipping - Another new addition to the staff of Riverdale High, Mr. Chipping is a mysterious new teacher.