Rian Johnson reveals that he is still in talks to make a Star Wars trilogy for Disney. Johnson was the director of the second film in the Star Wars sequel trilogy: Star Wars: The Last Jedi. While the film certainly made Disney a ton of money at the box office, the film turned out to be one of the most divisive films in Star Wars history.
While the Skywalker saga will be brought to a close this December when Disney releases Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the franchise is far from over. Back at the end of 2017, reports surfaced that Johnson was developing a new Star Wars trilogy. Johnson was said to be writing and directing the first film of his trilogy, but little has been revealed about the project since. At one point, it was rumored that Johnson's Star Wars trilogy was canceled, but the director quickly debunked that rumor. While the trilogy hasn't been outright canceled, the slow development on the trilogy has led some to question whether Disney is still actively developing the project. Johnson has remained optimistic about his trilogy these past few years, but now he has another update for fans.
When discussing his new film Knives Out with Deadline, Johnson briefly commented on the prospects of his new Star Wars films. Johnson didn't have much to reveal about the project but commented, "We’re still engaged with Lucasfilm and we’ll wait and see. No updates on it at this moment, but yeah.”
Johnson is developing his new Star Wars trilogy for Disney, but he was also said to be working closely with David Benioff & D.B. Weiss to forge the future of the Star Wars franchise after The Rise of Skywalker is released. Unfortunately, earlier this week, Lucasfilm announced that Benioff and Weiss' Star Wars trilogy had been canceled. It's unknown what their trilogy was going to be about, but it's rumored that they were working on a Knights of the Old Republic project given their history with Game of Thrones. With Benioff and Weiss stepping away from their Star Wars plans, it's possible that more news could soon come out about Johnson's.
There haven't been very many updates on Johnson's Star Wars trilogy, but that is likely because of Disney's focus on other Star Wars projects. As mentioned previously, The Rise of Skywalker is coming out in December, but the company has also been working on the first-ever live-action Star Wars TV show: The Mandalorian. Now that these two Star Wars projects are getting close to their release dates, it's possible that Disney could begin to refocus on Johnson and his plans for the galaxy far, far away.
- Star Wars 9 / Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) release date: Dec 20, 2019