As Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2 finally comes to consoles, the open-world shooter has hidden a whole host of hints and tips to make life in the Old West that much easier. Whether it be a shortcut to bring up the map or a simple way to save a horse's stamina, Rockstar has littered its latest game with some time (and sometimes life) saving mechanics.
Red Dead Redemption 2 has only been out since October 26, but has already earned a record-breaking $725 million opening weekend. While some players raced through the game's 60-hour main story, there's still plenty to explore outside Arthur Morgan's quest with the Dutch van der Linde gang. For anyone who wants to really master Red Dead Redemption 2, here are some handy hints to help.
Shared by Rockstar Intel and compiled by a series of Reddit users, the impressive list of Red Dead Redemption 2 hidden controls, tips, and tricks is growing by the day. Below is a small selection of the best secrets that players need to know. While some of these secrets aren't that hard to figure out, others have been hidden deep in the game's code, and elude even the most seasoned Red Dead players.
- Holding R2/RT lightly allows you to draw into deadeye
- Tapping left on the d-pad brings up a task list of requests, hunting challenges etc
- If you press x/A in time with your horse's gallops, you won't use as much stamina, this apparently also works when Arthur is on foot
- You can lasso witnesses without losing honor/being caught
- Holding triangle whilst on your horse will hitch up anywhere, even into the ground or a tree
- You can hold square/X to continually loot things from cupboards etc
- "Wearing a mask is not always enough to hide your identity, if you're known in town people may be able to identify you from your clothing, your horse, or your custom weapons. Set up a "crime outfit" and don't wear it while you're out being a law-abiding citizen!"
- You can fire from the hip by tapping R2 without holding L2, bit more inaccurate but useful in a bind and faster
- Sell all of your canned food supplies and instead cook and stow meat from your campfire. Venison and Beef give great benefits, it's easy to come by, and you won't clog up your satchel with a bunch of canned corn.
The above list is definitely comprehensive, and makes gameplay in Red Dead Redemption 2 a little more interesting if nothing else. There are also simple things like a red X appearing on an enemy meaning their wound is fatal, and there will soon be a cool animation. Elsewhere, one redditor simply says "check the chimneys," while another suggests that lockboxes can be opened with guns or dynamite if players don't have a lockbreaker yet - make sure the horses are out of earshot or they'll run away.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is living up to its rave reviews, with some already calling it the game of the decade. Developers at Rockstar promised that Red Dead Redemption 2 would be one of the most immersive games ever, so it's easy to see where the controversy surrounding the studio's grueling working hours may have come from. In a game as big as Red Dead Redemption 2 there's sure to be plenty more to uncover. Fans have already discovered Rockstar's long-running Easter egg of Bigfoot, while elsewhere, others have been tracking down the game's UFOs.
As with any game, there will likely be secrets lost in the wilderness of Red Dead Redemption 2 for years to come. Just this year, someone discovered a secret minimap in Silent Hill 2 that had been hidden for 17 years. Either way, it looks like players have only scratched the surface of Red Dead Redemption 2, so expect plenty more hints and tricks to become common knowledge in the coming weeks.
Source: Rockstar Intel