Part of what makes the cinema so attractive to the masses is undoubtedly its ability to provide a break from reality. After all, it's the foundation on which the Summer Blockbuster Movie Season is built (with examples in 2015 including Avengers: Age of Ultron, Jurassic World, and many more).
Over the years, countless films have chronicled battles of such massive scope and scale that they have become indelible moments in cinema history. For example, fans will never forget the first time the Avengers assembled to face Loki and his Chitauri army - or the desperate assault on the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi.
Now Machinima has launched a new web series that takes a faux-documentary approach to some of the biggest fictional showdowns of all time. Titled Real Fake History, the 10-episode series takes a History Channel approach to imagine the stories behind the aftermath of game-changing events on film, television and video games. Phil Brown - perhaps best known for his recurring role as Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld - narrates each episode, and the first two installments take a closer look at events like the epic House of Blue Leaves battle from Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (see above).
Fore more, watch the video about the Star Wars franchise's Battle of Endor (depicted in Episode VI - Return of the Jedi), below:
The full list of Real Fake History episodes also includes the following:
- "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" - Witness the exclusive, never before seen tale of Little Mac's rise to champion of the Video Game Boxing Association, and the life-altering costs.
- "The Avengers: Battle of New York City" - Super-powered heroes fight for Earth during an alien invasion, but the true stories of loss and heroism happened to regular folks on the ground and in the office buildings Hulk destroyed.
- "Pacific Rim: The Battle of Hong Kong" - The Captain of a docked oil tanker is the unintended victim of Jaeger robot Gypsy Danger's last-ditch defense of Hong Kong.
- "The Dark Knight Rises: Taking Back Gotham City" - Military experts weigh in on the tactical benefits of the Gotham Police Department's unarmed charge towards Bane's entrenched defensive position.
- "Starship Troopers: Disaster on Klendathu" - The Federation's assault on the Arachnid planet Klendaathu was a disaster that cost the lives of 308,563 human troops. When you practice on human targets and take hot co-ed showers every day, how can you be good at killing bugs?
- "Starcraft 2: Eugene vs. Jay" - When two roommates decide to take their rivalry to the battlefield, only one Terran or Zerg army will survive the fight... or will they?
- "Game of Thrones: The Battle of Castle Black" - We examine the lives of the Wilding Giants caught in the needless maelstrom of violence during the Battle of Castle Black.
- "The Walking Dead: Woodbury's Assault on the Prison" - In the middle of a deadly, calculated attack on Rick Grimes and his allies, Michonne discovers two unlikely zombies brought together by fate.
Real Fake History should please fans who are interested in sharp, humorous commentary to some of their favorite sci-fi and fantasy tales. The language barrier during the Battle of Endor and the Bride's over-the-top attack on the Crazy 88 certainly provide a strong pair of introductory episodes.
With geek fare becoming more and more mainstream each year, there's every reason to think that the series will connect with movie fans. Moreover, the above episode list barely scratches the surface of the possibilities that this premise presents. So don't be surprised if this series manages to truly go viral at some point.
What do you think of Real Fake History, Screen Ranters? Sound off with your thoughts below.
Real Fake History episodes are posted online Tuesdays on Machinima.