Pokémon: 20 Mega Evolutions So Powerful They Should Be Banned

Mega Charizard x and y

Debuting in 1995, Pokémon quickly grew to become one of the most popular and profitable game series spawning multiple sequels and spin-offs.

While the card game and TV series were popular in their own right, the Pokémon video games have always had a strong fan base ever since creator Satoshi Tajiri came out with Pocket Monsters Aka and Midori for the Gameboy.

Since its initial release, the game series has continued to become more and more advanced with new Pokémon being added to the games with each generation of games

. There are currently eight generations of Pokémon with over 800 known Pokémon for gamers to play as.

The series started off with the classic 151 Pokémon but the number continues to grow with each new generation that is released. Not only are there the regular Pokémon, but most Pokémon have some sort of an evolution or de-evolution with unique abilities.

If evolved Pokémon were not powerful enough, Generation VI introduced Mega Evolution forms of popular Pokémon.

Out of the 807 known Pokémon, only 46 of them are able to mega-evolve. While these Pokémon are capable of a Mega Evolution, the bond between the trainer and Pokémon must be strong, the Pokémon must be in possession of a mega stone, and the trainer must have a key stone.

Anybody who has played a Pokémon game knows the frustration of having your Pokémon get utterly demolished by those who have more powerful Pokémon.

Here are the 20 Mega Evolutions So Powerful They Should Be Banned.

Continue scrolling to keep reading

Click the button below to start this article in quick view

Start Now

20 Mega Diancie

Much like Mega Evolutions themselves, Diancie was introduced in Generation VI. Diancie ia a Rock and Fairy Mythical Pokémon. It is a genderless Pokémon but is commonly called the “Royal Pink Princess.”

Diancie has a base stat total of 600 but Mega Diancie adds 100 points to this total like all Mega Evolutions.

Mega Diancie has an impressive 160 points for attack and special attack and has special moves which make it a formidable Pokémon to use in battle.

Diamond Storm and Moonblast are two of its best moves and its’ ability is also extremely useful. Mega Diancie has the ability of Magic Bounce which reflects moves that are non-damaging back at the user.

Diancie may not be the strongest Pokémon but Mega Diancie gave it a nice upgrade.

19 Mega Gallade

Mega Gallade is categorized as a psychic and fighting type Pokémon whose arms turn into swords when attacked.

The design for Mega Gallade is also unique with its arm blades turning a reddish color and it also received a cape like extension to its back.

When it comes to the base stat total, Mega Gallade is 100 points higher than Gallade. While the HP remains relatively low, the attack and speed are increased significantly.

Mega Gallade can also use the moves Close Combat and Stored Power at levels 53 and 58 respectively.

In terms of a special ability, Gallade receives Inner Focus in its Mega form which prevents the Pokémon from flinching.

18 Mega Banette

Banette was a Pokémon introduced in Generation III that was eventually given a Mega Evolution later on. Banette is a Ghost-type Pokémon who was introduced in Generation III.

While Banette may not be someone’s first choice for a powerful Pokémon, Mega Banette may be.

Banette can evolve into Mega Banette with the use of the mega stone called Banettite. Mega Banette is known for having an extremely high attack stat. Banette has a 115 attack stat while Mega Banette has a 165 attack stat.

At level 64, Mega Banette can use Phantom Force which causes the Pokémon to disappear and dodge any type of attack but still hit the next turn.

Destiny Bond can also be used which makes the attacker faint if their damage causes its opponent to faint.

17 Mega Rayquaza

Rayquaza is one of the most powerful Pokémon to begin with, which makes its Mega evolution form seem that much more unfair.

Rayquaza is a dragon and flying type Pokémon which was introduced in Generation III.

While Rayquaza does not evolve from any other Pokémon, it can evolve into Mega Rayquaza. Rayquaza was the mascot for Pokémon Emerald and is also the trio master of the Weather Trio.

Mega Rayquaza has an impressive 180 for attack and special attack which is a massive 30 point increase from Rayquaza. The base stat total for Mega Rayquaza comes in at a massive 780.

Air Lock and Delta Stream are also two abilities that almost seem too good to be true.

16 Mega Garchomp

While some Mega Evolutions of Pokémon look radically different than their regular form, Garchomp is not one of them.

The only clear difference from Garchomp and Mega Garchomp is that Mega Garchomp has more spikes on his underside and his fins have red streaks rather than the solid blue color.

All of Mega Garchomp’s stats increase except for HP which remains at 80 and the speed also drops down from 102 to 92.

Mega Garchomp also has a special ability called Sand Force which increases the strength of rock, ground, and steel Pokémon by 1.3x and protects them against a Sandstorm.

Even though the speed is decreased for this Mega Garchomp, the increased stat of attack makes it a heavy hitter.

15 Mega Salamence

Mega Salamence

Using the salamencite, Salamence has the ability to transform into Mega Salamence. Salamence has a 50/50 chance of being male or female, but regardless of the gender, it is an awesome looking Dragon/Flying-type Pokémon.

Several physical features are changed for the Mega Evolved form of Salamence. 

The Mega Evolved form is much narrower and also has a shorter tail but most notable is its wings. Instead of being two separate wings, the evolved form merges them into one crescent-shaped wing.

Mega Salamence’s appearance is an upgrade, but its defense also goes up a drastic 50 points as well as its speed shooting up from 100 to 120.

The other stats may not have increased significantly but the defense alone makes it a powerful Pokémon.

14 Mega Mewtwo X & Y

Mega Mewtwo

Some Pokémon are so powerful already that giving them a Mega Evolution just seems like overkill. Mewtwo is one of those Pokémon.

Mewtwo has been a fan favorite Pokémon for quite some time and has been featured on the covers of multiple Pokémon games. 

Mewtwo is one of the few Pokémon that can Mega Evolve into two forms. Mewtwo can evolve into Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y.

Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y are both psychic type Pokémon while Mega Mewtwo X is both a psychic and Fighting-type Pokémon. 

Mega Mewtwo X and Y both have a base stat total of 780 with Mega Mewtwo X having a better attack and defense and Mega Mewtwo Y having better stats for its special attack and special defense. 

13 Mega Gardevoir

Mega Gardevoir

Gardevoir is one of the evolutions of the Pokémon Ralts-the other being Gallade. Much like Gallade, Gardevoir also received a Mega Evolution.

In its Mega form, Gardevoir increases its base stat total from 518 to 618 seeing the biggest improvements from its special attack. 

This psychic fairy type Pokémon has the abilities of Synchronize or Trace and Telepathy and also learns the ability of Pixilate in its Mega form.

Pixilate gives any normal-type moves a 30% boost by turning the moves into Fairy-type moves. This was later downgraded to a 20% power boost in Generation VII.

This Pokémon can also use the moves Moonblast and Stored Power which become incredibly handy during battle. 

12 Mega Blaziken

Mega Blaziken

Blaziken, as you can probably guess by the name, is a fire and Fighting-type Pokémon that was introduced in Generation III.

At Level 36, Blaziken can evolve into Combusken but can also Mega Evolve using Blazikenite. 

Blaziken has an 87.5% chance of being male and only a 12.5% chance of being female. Mega Blaziken has the ability of Speed Boost which raises the speed stat at the end of each turn.

It also has the moves Flare Blitz and Sky Uppercut which can do significant damage to its opponent. 

While most of the stats increase for Mega Blaziken besides the HP, the attack stat is raised the most increasing by 40 points. 

11 Mega Mawile

Mega Mawile

Mawile may not have been the most powerful Pokémon, but there are some pros about Mega Mawile. First off, Mega Mawile has a very unique look.

The Mega Evolved form includes two extra mouths attached to the Pokémon’s head that almost look like demented ponytails. 

Besides its look, Mawile also has a huge increase in its attack and defense stats when it Mega Evolves.

As if that was not enough, Mega Mawile also has the ability of Huge Power which doubles its attack stat even further. 

Mega Mawile may not be the most powerful Mega Evolution with a base stat total of 480, but its massive increase of the attack stat gives it reason enough to be banned. 

10 Mega Gengar

Mega Gengar

Gengar was one of the original 150 Pokémon coming in at #94 in the Pokédex and introduced in Generation I. Gengar evolves from Haunter and can evolve into Gastly and Mega Gengar. 

One of the most impressive additions to Mega Gengar is its increased special attack. Gengar has as a special attack stat of 130 but Mega Gengar bumps it up to 170. 

Gengar’s defense, special defense, and speed also all increase in its Mega form,  but its ability is really what makes it so powerful. Mega Gengar has the ability of Shadow Tag which can be extremely useful. 

Shadow Tag prevents opposing Pokémon from fleeing and escaping ensuring that your opponent can not swap out its Pokémon when its health gets too low. 

9 Mega Aggron

Aggron is a steel and Rock-type Pokémon who can Mega Evolve to Mega Aggron with the Aggronite. While Aggron is a steel and Rock-type Pokémon, Mega Aggron is just a Steel-type Pokémon. 

Aggron already had a strong defense at 180, but Mega Aggron has a massive 230 for its defense as well as also strengthening its attack by 30 points.

The speed, special attack, and HP are all pretty low for a Mega-Evolved Pokémon, but having a 230 defense makes it a powerful Pokémon to have on your team. 

Mega Aggron also has the ability of Filter which helps by reducing any super effective move by 1/4. 

8 Mega Kangaskhan

Mega Kangaskhan

Kangaskhan is a 100% female Pokémon whose baby is always 100% adorable. Kangaskhan is always seen with its child in its pouch and while Mega Kangaskhan still has her child, it is a little different.

Mega Kangaskhan’s child appears significantly larger than its previous form.

This ties into Mega Kangaskhan’s ability called Parental Bond. This ability gives the Pokémon a two-strike move and causes the second strike to deal out 25% the amount of damage.

In Generation VI, this move was used by the parent and child together while in Generation VII the parent and child attack separately.

Mega Kangaskhan’s attack stat was also increased by 30 points making her two hits that much more effective.

7  7. Mega Steelix

Steelix, the evolution of Onix, was introduced in Generation II. Steelix has the ability of Rock Head or Sturdy as well as Sheer Force but the Mega Evolved form has the ability of Sand Force. Sand Force increases the power of Steelix by 30%.

While its ability gives it extra power, its defense is also given an extra 30 points making it have a defense stat of 230.

Mega Steelix also has the moves of Double-Edge and Sandstorm which unlock at level 49 and level 52 respectively.

Mega Steelix may not have gotten any advancements for its HP, special attack, or speed, but its massive defense combined with its Sand Force make it a powerful ally to have on your team.

6 Mega Altaria

Altaria is a dragon and Flying-type Pokémon who has a 50/50 chance of being male or female. Regardless of the gender, Altaria can transform into Mega Altaria using Altarianite. 

When turning into its Mega Evolved form, Altaria becomes duller in color and grows a longer tail. The fluffy feathers surrounding its body also grow in size making them almost look like clouds.

While Altaria goes through a physical transformation, it also turns from a dragon and Flying-type to a dragon and Fairy-type Pokémon. 

Not one stat really outshines another, but that is partly what makes it so powerful. Its attack, defense, and special attack are all at a solid 110 which means it can properly defend itself while packing a punch. 

5 Mega Scizor

Mega Scizor Pokemon

Scyther was a fan favorite Pokémon for Generation I so fans were thrilled when Scizor was introduced in Generation II.

Scyther can be evolved into Scizor when traded and while holding a Metal Coat. Along the same lines, Scizor can evolve into Mega Scizor using the Scizorite. 

Scizor was powerful enough being immune to Poison-type attacks and resistant to several others.

 Its Mega Evolved form raises its defense 40 points nearly making it even with its attack stat. 

Mega Scizor has the ability of Technician which increases the power of moves if they have a power of 60 or less by 50%. The appearance of its Mega Evolved form should be a hint at its true power. 

4 Mega Venasaur

Mega Venasaur

Venasaur is not only one of the original 151 Pokémon, but it is also by far one of the most recognizable Pokémon out there.

Venasaur comes in at number three on the Pokédex and appeared in the box art for the games Pokémon Green and Pokémon LeafGreen.

Venasaur evolves from Ivysaur which evolves from Bulbasaur. The Mega Venasaur increases its defense and special attack the most and also is granted with the Thick Fat ability.

This ability helps with fire and ice moves which are usually some of Venasaur’s biggest weaknesses. 

It wouldn’t have felt right if Venusaur was left out of the Mega Evolutions and thankfully he was given a Mega Evolution that is actually very useful.

3 Mega Metagross

Mega Metagross

Metagross was introduced in Ruby & Sapphire and is most known for being a Pokémon of Steven Stone. When using the Metagrossite, Metagross can evolve into Mega Metagross. 

Not only did the defense for Mega Metagross increase, it also got many powerful moves. Some of these moves include Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, and Hyper Beam which are just as useful as they are fun sounding names. 

Coming in at Pokédex number 376, Metagross is a steel and Psychic-type Pokémon who has the abilities of Clear Body and Light Metal.

Mega Metagross, on the other hand, has the Tough Claws ability which allows it to increase the power for contact moves by 30%.

2 Mega Lucario

Mega Lucario

The Mega Lucario is one Pokémon who looks like he is ready for a fight. Well, he or she. Lucario has an 87.5% chance of being male and only a 12.5% chance of being female.

Lucario is a fighting and Steel-type Pokémon who has a fairly powerful attack stat at 110 in its normal form and 145 in its Mega form. 

Mega Lucario is also immune to poison attacks and resistant to normal, rock, bug, steel, dragon, dark, grass, and ice attacks. Mega Lucario’s special ability is called Adaptability increases STAB from 1.5x to 2x. 

STAB stands for Same-type attack bonus. STAB gives your Pokémon a damage boost if the attack used is the same type as your Pokémon. STAB is already important but giving Mega Lucario another added benefit almost seems unfair.

1 Mega Charizard X and Y

Mega Charizard x and y

All fans of the anime remember the sad episode where Charmander is trying to protect his tail from going out and Ash rushes to save him. It was a heartbreaking moment, but Mega Charizard will break hearts in another way. 

Mega Charizard is a great example of a Mega Evolution done right. Charizard received not one, but two Mega Evolutions.

Charizard has always been associated with a dragon but has never been given the dragon-type label. That is until Mega Charizard X was released. 

The attack and defense stats were both increased for Mega Charizard X while Mega Charizard Y benefits from its increased attack, special attack, and special defense.

Regardless of which you choose, you can’t go wrong with a Mega Charizard. 


Are there any other Mega Pokémon so powerful that you think they should be banned? Let us know in the comments!

More in Lists