Catherine Keener signs up to Duty as Tom Hanks first mate; Katherine Heigl is Face Blind; Jim Sheridan moves out of his Dream House and Into The West; has Hugh Grant dumped Renee Zellweger and dropped Bridget Jones’ Baby? Meanwhile, Josh Duhamel and Bruce Willis fight Fire With Fire.
1. Catherine Keener has signed on to play Tom Hanks' wife in Paul Greengrass' Captain Phillips. The film, based on Richard Phillips' true-life book A Captain's Duty, charts his story after he was taken hostage by Somali pirates in 2009.
Scott Rudin, Michael De Luca, Dana Brunetti and Kevin Spacey will produce the film, which was written by Billy Ray, the writer behind Shattered Glass – not Achy Breaky Heart.
2. Katherine Heigl will star-in and produce the thriller Face Blind.
According to Deadline, the film is about:
“A psychologist struck with a rare affliction that makes it impossible to distinguish people by their faces. When a man who terrorized her most vulnerable patient stalks her, the psychologist can’t recognize him, and her husband thinks she’s the one who is going crazy.”
Face Blind, which was written by Dominic Harari and Teresa De Pelegri sounds incredibly like the Milla Jovovich thriller Faces In The Crowd. That film was terrible, and I don’t expect this to be any different. Having said that, it could be worse – it could be a romantic comedy!
3. Dream House director Jim Sheridan is currently writing a remake of the 1992 Irish film Into The West.
The Irish Film Board recently gave the film a development grant of €50,000, the highest it has to offer – even though the film is being “re-imagined” with a US setting. Gabriel Byrne, (his then wife) Ellen Barkin and Brendan Gleeson starred in the original.
“The original follows two young boys who escape the poverty of their Dublin council estate on adventure ‘into the west’ to find a mystical horse recently stolen from them.”
Sheridan’s stock is currently quite low in Hollywood. Films like The Name Of The Father and My Left Foot gave him some solid career kudos, but his last few efforts have been underwhelming - Get Rich Or Die Tryin’, Brothers and most recently, the troubled Daniel Craig horror film Dream House.
Source: Screen Daily
4. There were rumblings that the latest Bridget Jones sequel is in trouble. Despite rumors to the contrary, Universal and Working Title are denying that Hugh Grant has left Bridget Jones’s Baby due to issues with the script - which would, obviously, leave Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth in the lurch.
Working Title’s Tim Bevan said in a statement:
“Reports that Hugh Grant has exited Bridget Jones’s Baby are untrue. We are still working on the script hence the delay to the start of production, but the film is going ahead as planned.”
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Grant said:
“Hugh is keen that Bridget Jones 3 happens, but Renee, Colin and he all have some issue with the present script. They are hoping to help work them out."
Late last year the romantic comedy sequel faced problems when Bridesmaids director Paul Feig dropped out of the project, only to be replaced by Peter Cattaneo.
5. Movie Hole has snagged some images from the Bruce Willis/ Josh Duhamel action film Fire With Fire.
Check them out:
The film, directed by David Barrett, also stars Rosario Dawson and 50 Cent.
The Synopsis reads as follows:
This sounds like it might just be another paycheck gig for Willis.
Source: Movie Hole
That’s it for now. See you at the movies.