Jaden Smith is Boy Nobody; Jennifer Lawrence visits The Glass Castle; Lindsay Lohan is Liz Taylor in Liz & Dick; Abbey Lee Kershaw puts in a cagey performance for Mad Max 4; Rooney Mara's career gets a Spike; Scary Movie 5 gets a new direction from an Undercover Brother and Steve Kloves works some magic on The Jungle Book.
1. Sony Pictures and Will Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment are in early negotiations to pick up the rights to Allen Zadoff's young adult novel Boy Nobody. It is hoped that it will lead to a starring role for Jaden Smith.
According to Variety the as-yet unpublished book “is the first in a planned young adult trilogy about a brainwashed teenage assassin who starts to regain his emotions” and that the main “character is reminiscent of a teenage Jason Bourne.”
So, a franchise starter which will star the son of one of the biggest superstars on the planet, produced by said parent? Kerching!
It may make financial sense, but, I’m not too sure about the artistic merit of this endeavour.
2. The Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence looks set to take the lead role in a film adaptation of Jeanette Walls’ autobiography The Glass Castle: A Memoir.
Lionsgate has picked up the rights to the tale which follows Walls’ “difficult childhood with her ‘dysfunctional but vibrant’ family.” The book spent a record 250 weeks on The New York Times bestseller list.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that The Glass Castle won’t be doing Hunger Games style business at the box office - though Lawrence is a solid performer so there could very well be reason to see the film.
3. Troubled actress Lindsay Lohan will play Elizabeth Taylor in the Lifetime Original Movie Liz & Dick.
The film will chart the tumultuous relationship between screen greats Taylor and Richard Burton. The pair had a heated relationship which saw them marry and divorce, only to remarry and divorce again.
Lohan is quoted as saying:
“I have always admired and had enormous respect for Elizabeth Taylor. She was not only an incredible actress but an amazing woman as well. I am very honored to have been asked to play this role”.
Yeah, yeah, whatever.
The film is currently without an actor to play Welsh acting god Burton.
Source: Coming Soon
4. Apparently “the world's fifth most in-demand model” Abbey Lee Kershaw has snagged a role in George Miller’s long awaited Mel Gibson-less Mad Max 4 (aka Mad Max: Fury Road).
The model will travel to Namibia to play a role in the film which is set to star Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.
According to a "well-placed film source":
"Obviously it's set in a post-apocalyptic world, and women, especially beautiful women, are scarce, so men have been locking them up in cages. Abbey is one of them. She's perfect."
From the catwalk to the post-apocalytpic cage - shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Source: The Daily Telegraph
5. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo star Rooney Mara will replace Carey Mulligan in Spike Jonze's as-yet untitled next feature.
According to Variety:
“The project stars Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Samantha Morton. Jonze penned the script and is set to direct the pic about a man who falls in love with the voice of a computer.”
The Oscar nominated Mara will join the production once she finishes work on Steven Soderbergh’s The Bitter Pill.
6. Somebody out there wanted it. Somebody out there got it. Undercover Brother director Malcolm Lee is set to helm the fifth installment of the Scary Movie franchise for Dimension Films.
David Zucker, who wrote and directed Scary Movies 3 and 4, will return to co-write and produce the “comedy” which should shoot this summer.
Zucker has previously directed the comedy classics Airplane! and Top Secret! His recent output hasn’t been as memorable.
7. Warner Bros. has hired screenwriter Steve Kloves to write, direct and produce a new version of Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book.
They’ve got the bare necessities for the film covered, now it’ll be interesting to see what other talent comes on-board.
That’s it for now. See you at the movies.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!