John Cho and Clark Duke have their identities stolen; James Van Der Beek celebrates Labor Day; Ridley Scott’s The Counselor gets Cruz control; Ray Liotta, Chloe Moretz, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan are stuck in a Rut; January Jones and Ed Harris sip some Sweetwater; and Taylor Swift is Joni Mitchell.
1. John Cho and Clark Duke will join Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy, and Amanda Peet in The Identity Thief.
According to THR:
“Seth Gordon is directing the feature project, which centers on a milquetoast family man (Bateman) who gets a life-lesson in stepping up when his identity is stolen by a mess of a woman (McCarthy).”
Wasn’t this an episode of Friends back in the day?
2. Former Dawson’s Creek star (will he ever be anything else?) James Van Der Beek looks set to join Jason Reitman’s latest film Labor Day.
Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin topline the project which:
“Centers on a boy and his reclusive divorcee mother (Winslet) who, during a Labor Day Weekend, who meet a stranger and offer him a ride. The man turns out to be an escaped convict and ends up teaching the boy life lessons.”
Van Der Beek will play a police officer in the film which is based on Joyce Maynard’s novel.
Reitman’s films always get a bit of awards attention and Labor Day will likely be no different.
3. It would seem that Penelope Cruz will be joining her husband Javier Bardem in Ridley Scott’s The Counselor.
The cast for the Cormac McCarthy scripted drama is shaping up nicely, with Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt also on-board. Cruz would play Fassbender's love interest in the film which has been described as “dialogue-heavy, violent and racy.”
It was believed that Angelina Jolie would take the role, but it now looks like that was a tabloid pipe-dream.
4. Goodfella Ray Liotta will be doing his oft-used bad guy “thang” opposite Chloe Moretz and Jeffrey Dean Morgan in The Rut.
Described as Winter’s Bone meets Whale Rider, “the story centers on a young girl (Moretz) who, in order to win the approval of her father (Morgan), surrounds herself with danger and adventure as she journeys into the wilderness alone to hunt deer. Liotta will play a nemesis hunter to Moretz, a man who is obsessed with bow hunting and considers Morgan his rival.”
Karyn Kusama directs The Rut, from a script by Kevin Caruso.
5. Mad Men actress January Jones and Ed Harris will star in the western Sweetwater.
According to Deadline
“Set against the backdrop of 1886 New Mexico Territory, a young widow (Jones) risks all to avenge her husband’s murder at the hands of a brutal sheep rancher. Harris plays the town sheriff who helps Jones avenge her husband’s death.”
Maybe this will be the role which proves that Jones isn’t just a lifelike animatronic. Logan and Noah Miller will direct the movie which starts shooting in June.
6. Country/pop sensation Taylor Swift is eying up the chance to play Joni Mitchell in an adaptation of Sheila Weller's book Girls Like Us.
Katie Jacobs will direct the film which “examines the careers of singers Mitchell, Carly Simon and Carole King.”
Lorenzo di Bonaventura will produce the film which was scripted by John Sayles.
This sounds interesting - and, whether or not it turned out to be good, has potential.
That’s it for now. See you at the movies.