YouTube is the king of the world when it comes to sharing videos online of any kind, from home movies, educational tutorials and video game footage to music videos, big brand entertainment and marketing. And year by year, and increasing amount of this content is being viewed on mobile devices with smartphones and tablets becoming the norm.
In the first half of 2015 alone, 35M+ hours of movie trailers viewed via YouTube on mobile devices. Ipsos, a global market research company, took a deep look at Google and YouTube data for the year so far and pulled some interesting findings for movie trailer viewing.
Below are the top five most-viewed trailers of the summer, from videos that were uploaded between April 1, 2015 and June 30 2015. Of course, views are global and are compromised of a mix of organic searches and paid advertising. Bigger marketing budget of course, equates to increased views.
YouTube Movie Trailers Leaderboard
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Teaser #2, 67.8M views - Disney Pictures
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Official Teaser Trailer [HD], 57M views - Warner Bros.
- Jurassic World - Official Global Trailer (HD), 27M views - Universal
- Terminator: Genisys Official Trailer #2 (2015) - Arnold Schwarzenegger Movie HD, 19.7M views - Paramount
- Marvel’s Ant-Man - Trailer 1, 17M views - Disney Pictures
Interestingly, over 12 million of The Force Awakens trailer #2 views came from unofficial channel uploads. And surprising no one, the big established brands take the cake. Jurassic World has gone on to become one of the biggest box office successes ever, propelling Universal Pictures to setting an industry record for quickly hitting the $3 billion milestone.
Other Key Findings
- Over 35 million hours of movie trailers viewed on mobile on YouTube in 2015
- 41% growth in mobile searches related to movie showtimes so far this year
- 81% of moviegoers who watched trailers online did so on YouTube
- More than half of young millennials (13-24 year olds) agree they are more likely to watch a trailer on YouTube than TV
- Average view duration of these 5 trailers is 1:46, showing that vast majority are watching trailers through completion.
Where Jurassic World excelled at the box office, Terminator: Genisys did not. Star Wars however could raise the base this December as the most anticipated film of the year. Ant-Man is tracking for $65 million at the box office, which puts it below the rest of Marvel's Phase 2 movies.
And next year, when Batman and Superman share screen time for the first time ever in a live-action feature, expect more box office milestones to be hit for the major studios.
Did you watch any of the trailers more than once? Share your box office predictions for BvS and Star Wars 7 in the comments!
Ant-Man opens in theaters July 17, 2015, Star Wars: The Force Awakens releases in theaters December 18, 2015. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice will be in theaters on March 25th, 2016.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!