Screen Rant traveled to Los Angeles this week to meet up with Infinity Ward, see their presentation about the core multiplayer features of 2019's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and yes, to finally get hands-on with the game.
Built from the ground-up with a new engine, and more realism and detail ever in a Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare is attempting to deliver what the original did - something new that pushes the space and the industry forward. For players, the developers are aiming to deliver something that feels familiar to long-time fans, but also something new. In the build we played, we took note of all the weapons, gear, killstreaks, and perks available but in our interview with design director Joe Cecot & weapons artist Ben Garnell we were told there are more weapons than that coming at launch, and even more post-launch.
Modern Warfare features a complete weapon system overhaul and more customization than ever before as you'll see below in this brief snippet from the game's Gunsmith system (we weren't allowed to show too much) but the goal, according to Infinity Ward, is to emphasize the beauty and craftsmanship of the gun and to make it the character you bring between modes. What we didn't get to see is the cosmetic side of this, and we should note, that much of this (including the attachments) are subject to change.
Primary Weapons in Modern Warfare (2019)
- M13 - Automatic assault rifle featuring a short stroke piston system that keeps the fire rate high and the recoil low.
- FR 5.56 - 3 round burst bullpup battle rifle. A well placed burst can be extremely deadly at intermittent ranges.
- M4A1 - Fully automatic, all purpose battle rifle. Control your shots, and this weapon can be very effective at range.
- AK-47 - Very reliable automatic assault rifle chambered in 7.62mm Soviet. Large caliber ammunition requires skill to control recoil.
- MP5 - Fully automatic 9mm sub machine gun. A perfect balance of stability, mobility, and lethality.
- MP7 - Compact by design, this fully automatic weapon has a high rate of fire and low recoil.
- AUG - A modular fully automatic weapon configured for mobility and close range combat.
- Model 680 - Reliable, well rounded 12 gauge Pump-action shotgun.
- 725 - Break action shotgun with 2 round capacity. A long back-bored barrel and cylindrical choke keeps spread tight and lethal over extended ranges.
- M91 - Robust light machine gun sacrifices mobility for stability. High caliber sustained fire will neutralize targets at long ranges.
- L86A2 - Fully automatic bullpup light machine gun. Lower rate of fire and 5.56mm ammunition keeps this rifle stable and effective at long ranges.
- M14 - Semi Automatic long range battle rifle balances rate of fire with lethality.
- MK2 - Highly accurate lever action rifle. Will neutralize an enemy with one well placed round to the head or chest.
- AX-50 - Hard hitting, bolt action sniper rifle with .50 cal BMG ammunition. Limited mobility, ultimate stopping power.
*Note: These are just all the weapons in the playable build for the press and influencer preview events and multiplayer reveal. There will be more guns at launch, and even more post-launch for free.
Secondary Weapons in Modern Warfare (2019)
- .50 GS - The most powerful semi-automatic handgun available, .50 AE ammunition deals heavy damage up to intermediate ranges.
- M19 - Semi-automatic 9mm pistol, excellent stability with a rapid cycle rate.
- PILA - Fires unguided rockets.
- Strela-P - Free-fire or vehicle lock-on.
**The Strela-P rockets are especially useful at dealing with enemy killstreaks, especially in the larger outdoor game modes. The .50 GS is the infamous Desert Eagle, and the MK2 is a basically a Winchester rifle.
Lethal Grenades in Modern Warfare (2019)
- Frag Grenade - Cookable fragmentation grenade.
- Semtex - Timed sticky grenade
- Molotov Cocktail - Improvised incendiary device that explodes on impact.
- Claymore - Proximity-activated explosive mine.
- Throwing Knife - Retrievable knife that is lethal on impact.
- C4 - Large explosive that sticks to surfaces and can be detonated remotely with 'E' (on PC) or by double tapping 'R' (reload button).
- Thermite - Burns fiercely for a short while after impact. Sticks to all surfaces.
- Proximity Mine - Pressure-triggered explosive that deals heavy damage to vehicles.
Tactical Grenades in Modern Warfare (2019)
- Flash Grenade - Blinds and deafens targets
- Smoke Grenade - Deploys a smoke screen that blocks vision and automated targeting systems.
- Stun Grenade - Slows victim's movement and aiming. Effective against equipment.
- Stim - Military stimulant that cauterizes combat wounds.
- Decoy Grenade - Counter-intel grenade that simulators fake gunfire and radar signatures that confuse the enemy.
- Gas Grenade - Explodes on impact with the ground releasing a lingering cloud of tear gas that causes slowed movement, blurred vision, and coughing.
- Snapshot Grenade - Provides a momentary glimpse of enemies within the blast radius.
- Heartbeat Sensor - A tablet that displays rough information about nearby enemies.
Perks in Modern Warfare (2019) Multiplayer
PERK 1 SLOT (BLUE)
- Double Time - Triple the duration of Super Sprint and fully refresh Super Sprint on kills.
- E.O.D. - Take reduced damage from non-killstreak explosives and fire. Hack enemy Claymores, Proximity Mines, and C4.
- Scavenger - Resupply ammo from dead players.
- Tracker - Enemies leave behind trails and death markers. Increase crouch movement by 30%.
- Tune Up - Increase the charge rate of field upgrades by 50%
PERK 2 SLOT (RED)
- Ghost - Undetectable by UAVs, Radar Drones, Heartbeat Sensors, and High Alert. Hide the death markers of enemies you kill.
- Hardline - You killstreaks cost 1 less kill.
- Kill Chain - Killstreaks earned in your current life earn kill credit for other killstreaks.
- Overkill - Carry two primary weapons.
- Restock - Recharge equipment over 30 seconds.
PERK 3 SLOT (YELLOW)
- Amped - Faster weapon swap and rocket launcher reload speed.
- Battle Hardened - Reduce strength of enemy flash, stun, and EMP effects.
- Cold-Blooded - Undetectable by AI targeting systems and thermal optics. Immune to snapshot grenades.
- High Alert - Your vision pulses when enemies outside your view see you.
- Shrapnel - Spawn with an extra piece of lethal equipment. Explosive damage delays enemy health regeneration.
- Spotter - See enemy equipment, field upgrades, and killstreaks through walls. Mark them for your team by looking at them while aiming down sights.
Killstreaks in Modern Warfare (2019) Multiplayer
- 3 Kills - Personal Radar - Escort drone that enables the radar for the owner, and pings nearby enemies.
- 4 Kills - Counter UAV - A drone that constantly emits a scrambling signal, disabling enemy mini maps and incrementally disrupting their senses the closer they get to it.
- 4 Kills - UAV - UAV recon ship that enables the map for all allies, and reveals enemy locations.
- 4 Kills - Care Package - Call in a random killstreak care package to your location.
- 5 Kills - Cluster Strike - Signal for a number of cluster mortars to hit the designated location.
- 5 Kills - Cruise Missile - Control a long range missile with boost capabilities.
- 5 Kills - Precision Airstrike - Cal in twin jets for a precision strike along the best available path.
- 7 Kills - Wheelson - Remote controlled UGV with a powerful airburst turret.
- 7 Kills - Infantry Assault Vehicle - A manned light infantry vehicle with a .50 cal machine gun on top.
- 8 Kills - Emergency Airdrop - Call in 3 random killstreak care packages to your location.
- 8 Kills - VTOL Jet - Releases an initial missile barrage before guarding a location of the player's choice.
- 10 Kills - Chopper Gunner - Control an assault chopper armed with a turret and air to land missiles
- 10 Kills - White Phosphorus - Cover the battlefield with white smoke flare canisters that will disorient the enemy, and burn any of that wander too close.
- 11 Kills - Support Helo - Call in a heavy assault helo with twin turrets to patrol the map.
- 12 Kills - Gunship - Heavy assault gunship with three types of armaments.
- 12 Kills - Advanced UAV - Orbital UAV that reveals the enemy's direction on the mini map.
- 15 Kills - Juggernaut - Call in a care package that contains the Juggernaut assault gear.
Field Upgrades in Modern Warfare (2019) Multiplayer
- Munitions Box (Recharge Rate: Medium) - Deploy a box of ammo, grenades and weapons for you and your teammates. Shoot at your own risk.
- Recon Drone (Recharge Rate: Slow) - Remote controlled drone that marks enemies, equipment, and vehicles in the world.
- Stopping Power Rounds (Recharge Rate: Slow) - Reload your gun with stopping power rounds that deal extra damage.
- Trophy System (Recharge Rate: Fast) - Deployable autonomous defense system that destroys up to three nearby pieces of equipment and projectiles.
- Tactical Insertion (Recharge Rate: Fast) - Marks a location as your next spawn point.
- Deployable Cover (Recharge Rate: Fast) - Portable, rapidly-deployable ballistic cover.
More: Read our Hands-on Impressions of Modern Warfare Multiplayer
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare releases October 25, 2019 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One with crossplay support between all three platforms.