It’s amazing how different America and indeed the world have become since the last Mid Week Movie News Wrap Up. No I’m no talking about the US Presidential election – I’m talking about some of the nasty comments aimed at me following my Quantum of Solace review.
There’s movement on another Smokin’ Aces; Antonio Banderas is Dali; Jack Black Travels while Soderbergh goes Gilda and Gangster.
1. Joe Carnahan has stated on his official blog that a prequel to his action packed, star-filled film Smokin’ Aces is in the offing.
Old Smokin’ Joe said:
“Finally, some actual ‘Smokin Aces’ news. Universal has officially greenlit the
prequel and we are underway. Cameos will abound. Trust me.”
Does this mean Ben Affleck, Alicia Keys or Ryan Reynolds? Who knows, but the sequel will be going Direct to DVD so don’t expect a whole lot of top tier talent.
Source: Smokin Joe Carnahan
2. Latin Lover Antonio Banderas is in the frame to play Salvador Dali in the imaginatively titled Dali.
The film will be helmed by Simon West, the man behind Tomb Raider and Con Air – talk about surreal!
According to Variety:
“(The) film will blend music with CGI sequences in an effort to capture the inventiveness and color of the painter. Story will explore how Dali conquered America and the world with sex, sin and surrealism only to succumb later to worldwide scandal and misfortune”
They’d better not dilly with Dali because there are a few other films about the life of the famed artist in production, with one set to star Al Pacino. Hoo Ha!
3. Jack Black will star in a new adaptation of Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver’s Travels. The film which is being produced by the artistic void 20th Century Fox will be directed by Rob Letterman, the man responsible for Sharks Tale.
Filming for the comedic adaptation will commence in March.
Remember when Jack Black was like Bono in U2?
He had an Edge.
4. We told you previously that Steven “multi-projects” Soderbergh was planning a musical film based on Cleopatra called Cleo. More details have been revealed about the film. Anne Thompson from Variety gleamed the following details from the director:
“He said his inspiration for the 3D musical was Rita Hayworth as Gilda. That’s the stylized, ripe tone he’s going for, he said. The movie will star Chicago’s Catherine Zeta Jones (who worked with Soderbergh on Traffic).”
5. Speaking of Soderbergh – the Oscar winning director will be producing gangster flick Making Jack Falcone. The film, which is set up at Paramount will be penned by the directors Che scribe Peter Buchman.
According to The Hollywood Reporter:
” (The film) tells the story of Joaquin “Jack” Garcia, also known as Jack Falcone, a Cuban-American FBI agent who successfully went undercover in the Gambino crime family.”
Anyone else think that Benicio Del Toro is a shoe-in for this?
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
That’s it for now. See you at the movies.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!