Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is packed with talent across the upcoming slate of movies and Disney+ shows, so here's every confirmed cast member and character. After eleven years of build-up to Avengers: Endgame, Marvel Studios is ushering in a new era for the MCU over the next several years. Gone are the days of Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man and Chris Evans' Captain America leading the shared universe, paving the way for new faces to step up and familiar ones taking on bigger roles.
When originally announced at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Marvel Studios confirmed ten projects that would make up the 2-year Phase 4. It all begins in 2020 with Black Widow in May and then Eternals launching at the end of the year. In between these two new properties, Marvel will also release their first Disney+ live-action series, with The Falcon and The Winter Soldier set for a fall rollout. Once 2021 begins though, Phase 4 of the MCU will kick into high gear.
The second year of Phase 4 was originally announced to hold three movies and four Disney+ shows, including the animated What If...? series. This is where Marvel confirmed a movie slate of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and Thor: Love and Thunder. On Disney+, Marvel Studios will launch WandaVision, Loki, and Hawkeye. As busy as this slate already made Marvel Studios though, Phase 4 has added several other properties and characters since then.
As revealed at D23, three new Disney+ shows - Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk - are on the way and were added to Phase 4. Those shows being on the Phase 4 slate likely indicate that the two-year phase has expanded into 2022, making Black Panther 2 also among the group. Meanwhile, it was recently announced that Disney and Sony have come to terms on a new deal for Spider-Man to stay in the MCU, which will see Spider-Man 3 hit theaters in 2021. Even though more announcements could still come, that gives Phase 4 a total of fourteen properties, as of now. With all of these shows and movies on the way, here's a complete list of confirmed characters set for Phase 4 - as well as where they will appear.
Every Confirmed Phase 4 MCU Character
- Ajak (Salma Hayek) in Eternals
- Alexi Shostakov aka Red Guardian (David Harbour) in Black Widow
- Clint Barton aka Hawkeye/Ronin (Jeremy Renner) in Hawkeye
- Dane Whitman aka Black Knight (Kit Harington) in Eternals
- Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) in WandaVision
- Druig (Barry Keoghan) in Eternals
- Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) in Black Panther 2
- Gilgamesh (Don Lee) in Eternals
- Helmut Zemo (Daniel Brühl) in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Ikaris (Richard Madden) in Eternals
- James 'Bucky' Barnes aka Winter Soldier/White Solf (Sebastian Stan) in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Jane Foster aka Mighty Thor (Natalie Portman) in Thor: Love and Thunder
- Jennifer Walters aka She-Hulk in She-Hulk
- Jimmy Woo (Randall Park) in WandaVision
- John Walker aka US Agent (Wyatt Russell) in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Kamala Khan aka Ms. Marvel in Ms. Marvel
- Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) in Hawkeye
- Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani) in Eternals
- Loki (Tom Hiddleston) in Loki
- Makkari (Lauren Ridloff) in Eternals
- The Mandarin (Tony Leung) in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Marc Spector aka Moon Knight in Moon Knight
- Mason (O-T Fagbenle) in Black Widow
- Melina (Rachel Weisz) in Black Widow
- Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) in WandaVision
- Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) in Black Widow
- Okoye (Danai Gurira) in Black Panther 2
- Peter Parker aka Spider-Man (Tom Holland) in Spider-Man 3
- Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry) in Eternals
- Ramonda (Angela Bassett) in Black Panther 2
- Sam Wilson aka Falcon/Captain America in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Sersi (Gemma Chan) in Eternals
- Shang-Chi (Simu Liu) in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Shuri (Letitia Wright) in Black Panther 2
- Sprite (Lia McHugh) in Eternals
- Stephen Strange aka Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- T'Challa aka Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) in Black Panther 2
- Taskmaster in Black Widow
- Thena (Angelina Jolie) in Eternals
- Thor Odinson (Chris Hemsworth) in Thor: Love and Thunder
- Thunderbolt Ross (William Hurt) in Black Widow
- Unknown (Awkwafina) in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- Unknown (Kathryn Hahn) in WandaVision
- Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) in Thor: Love and Thunder
- Vision (Paul Bettany) in WandaVision
- Wanda Maximoff aka Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and WandaVision
- Wong (Benedict Wong) in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh) in Black Widow
Other MCU Characters Who May Appear In Phase 4
So far, that gives Phase 4 of the MCU nearly 50 confirmed characters, but there are sure to be more announced in the future. Only Black Widow and Eternals have started filming (with the former wrapping up), so the rest of them will add more new and familiar characters to their casts. While plenty of surprises could be in store when it comes to new characters being introduced, there are a fair number of MCU veterans who are likely to return.
Some of the most likely appearances not yet confirmed include Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) and Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, as well as Ned Leeds (Jacob Batalon), MJ (Zendaya), Aunt May (Marisa Tomei), and more in Spider-Man 3. Likewise, Nakia (Lupita Nyong'o) and M'Baku (Winston Duke) are expected to be part of Black Panther 2's cast. It is also probable that Korg and Meik will be part of Thor: Love and Thunder, and the same may be true of some members of the Guardians of the Galaxy to pay off Avengers: Endgame's ending.
Looking at some of the bigger names missing from Phase 4, Disney+ could bring a few of them back. Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) could very well appear in Ms. Marvel, while Smart Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) could do the same in She-Hulk. There's also the chance that Mahershala Ali's Blade could appear in any number of Phase 4 projects before getting his solo movie. And Scott Lang aka Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) and Hope van Dyne aka Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) could always pop up in Phase 4 in some capacity.
As all of these Phase 4 MCU projects move forward, it will only be a matter of time before more characters are confirmed. So, even though the confirmed list stands near 50 at the moment, stay tuned for additional confirmations as they roll in.
- Black Widow (2020) release date: May 01, 2020
- Eternals (2020) release date: Nov 06, 2020
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021) release date: Feb 12, 2021
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2021) release date: May 07, 2021
- Spider-Man: Homecoming 3 (2021) release date: Jul 16, 2021
- Thor: Love and Thunder (2021) release date: Nov 05, 2021
- Black Panther 2 (2022) release date: May 06, 2022