Superhero movies aren’t just kings at the worldwide box office, but they represent some of the most lucrative merchandise opportunities. Much like the Transformers films serve as big budget ads for Hasbro’s tie-in toy lines, so to do Marvel Comics movies help drive sales of all kinds of merchandise aimed at younger demographics and adult collectors. It’s because of this fact that promotional images for some of these upcoming toy lines and collectibles are looked at so keenly by fans and media as potential sources for hints about what could be depicted on screen.
Leaked images of LEGO toy sets for The Avengers: Age of Ultron for instance, were analyzed thoroughly for hints at plot points in the summer blockbuster but today we’re looking at something official based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe hitting shelves March 2015.
LEGO unveiled this week the ultimate Marvel collector’s set based on massive S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier as depicted in The Avengers. The 3000-piece behemoth includes microscale Quinjets, fighter jets and ground support vehicles alongside a dozen microfigures for better scale. Also included are five traditional size minifigures for Nick Fury, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye and Maria Hill whose designs are based on the new Age of Ultron costumes, despite the set being based on the first movie.
- Includes 5 minifigures: Nick Fury, Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye and Maria Hill, plus an iconic SHIELD eagle stand to display them on
- Features 3 microscale Quinjets, 3 fighter jets, a gasoline truck, 2 forklift trucks, 2 runways, 4 road blockades, armored exterior with translucent elements, detailed interior, plus 12 microfigures (Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Captain America, Iron Man and 8 SHIELD agents)
- Also includes a detailed runway
- Weapons include Hawkeye’s bow, Black Widow’s gun and Captain America’s shield
- SHIELD Agent Maria Hill minifigure is new for spring 2015!
- Includes a plaque with facts about The SHIELD Helicarrier
- Add lights and spinning rotors to the Helicarrier with the 88000, 8883 and 8870 LEGO® Power Functions sets (sold separately)
- Rotors can also be turned manually
- Includes a display stand
- Helicarrier measures over 11” (29cm) high, 31” (80cm) long and 17” (45cm) wide
- Each Quinjet measures over 1” (3cm) high, 2” (7cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide
- Minifigure stand measures over 4” (12cm) high, and 2” (6cm deep) and 6” (16cm wide)
Below are images depicting different angles of of the Helicarrier, beginning with the bridge which is located inside the center of the craft and is accessible through a removable piece of top deck runway.
While a massive LEGO vehicle in its own right, this Helicarrier is deceptively small for what it is but wonderfully detailed. The propulsion engines are single peg pieces, as an example, and it requires the use of miniature minifigures to maintain a sense of scale. Unfortunately, this set does not include a LEGO scale Quinjet for the standard figures to occupy but such a set does exist as part of The Avengers: Age of Ultron LEGO toy line.
Below are the detailed minifigure designs, featuring the new movie costumes of all the characters. Note Hawkweye’s (Jeremy Renner) sleeved field outfit, Black Widow’s (Scarlet Johansson) charged suit and Captain America’s bringing-back-the-red Age of Ultron costume.
Lastly, on the flight deck of the LEGO SHIELD Helicarrier sits a mini Quinjet – the iconic utility vehicle of SHIELD and The Avengers – alongside several fighter jets.
The set costs a whopping $350 USD. Couple the general expensiveness of anything LEGO with the Marvel license and this is what you get. Want one?
The Avengers: Age of Ultron releases in theaters on May 1 2015, followed by Ant-Man on July 17 2015, Captain America: Civil War on May 6 2016, Doctor Strange on November 4 2016, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 5 2017, Thor: Ragnarok on July 28, 2017, Black Panther on November 3 2017, Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 on May 4 2018, Captain Marvel on July 6 2018, Inhumans on November 2 2018 and Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2 on May 3 2019.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!