The Blu-ray release date for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, as well as the bonus features for the film have been revealed. LEGOs have been around for decades, but Hollywood has recently taken advantage of the popularity of the little building block toys. Over the years there have been several different LEGO video games and shorts, but it wasn't until 2014 that the first feature-length film was released.
The LEGO Movie was released by Warner Bros. and starred Chris Pratt as the voice of Emmet Brickowski. The LEGO Movie received mostly positive reviews and made Warner Bros. a good chunk of change at the box office; pulling in over $450 million at the worldwide box office. With the success of the film, it wasn't a surprise when it was revealed that a sequel was being developed, as well as spinoff films. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part at this point is considered a box office bomb, but Warner Bros. is of course still moving on with the film's home release.
Warner Bros. has announced that The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part will be released on digital on April 16, before coming to 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD a few weeks later on May 7. Much like the first film, the sequel's home video release will be packed with bonus features and even a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, which will only be included on the 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray versions of the film. The full list of special features for the 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD releases can be read below:
- Everything is Awesome Sing-along – Sing-along, trivia, games and more!
- Commentary – Fun behind the scenes commentary by filmmakers
- They Come in Pieces: Assembling The LEGO Movie 2 – Featurette highlighting A-list voice talent including Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett and Tiffany Haddish
- Emmet’s Holiday Party: A LEGO Movie Short – Holiday themed animated short
- LEGO Sets in Action – Animations of the LEGO product tied to The LEGO Movie 2
- LEGO Designers – LEGO toy designers highlight key play sets in TLM2 product line
- Outtakes & Deleted Scenes – Never before seen scenes
- Super Cool Music Video – Music video by Beck featuring Robyn and The Lonely Island
- Promotion Spots – Fun custom spots featured during the theatrical campaign
While The LEGO Movie was a runaway success, the same can't be said about the other LEGO movies that have been released. The first spinoff, The LEGO Batman Movie, came in well below the amount that The LEGO Movie earned, but was still a mild success. As for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, that film didn't do exceptionally well with critics or at the box office. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part didn't do as well with critics, or make as much money, as the first film, so Warner Bros. are likely hoping to make a bit more money with this home release.
Warner Bros. won't be able to make enough money to catch up with the success of the sequel's predecessor, but they will still likely sell several copies of the film, especially since there is a long list of bonus features. Some features are geared more towards children such as the Sing-along, but other features like the outtakes and deleted scenes will likely be entertaining for all ages. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is still in several theaters, but fans of the series will be happy to know that they won't have to wait that much longer to bring the movie home.
Source: Warner Bros.