You’re looking at the new K.I.T.T. from the upcoming made-for-TV Knight Rider movie. No, your eyes do not deceive you: It’s a Ford Mustang. A Mustang GR500KR to be precise.
Normally I’d rag on GM for not taking advantage of this and getting a new version of their Pontiac Firebird in there. After all, in the original series the car was a Firebird, which at the time was a pretty cool looking car. However I’ll give them a pass for two reasons:
1. Although this is Knight Rider, it’s a made-for-TV movie. Not as big a deal as getting their hot new Camaro into the Transformers movie.
2. As far as I know, they don’t have a new Pontiac Firebird ready to roll yet. I say “yet” because the Camaro and Firebird have always been two versions of the same car. If they have a new Camaro out, the Firebird can’t be far behind.
As to story details, AICN and Hollywood Reporter bring us the following:
– David Hasselhoff does appear, playing Michael Knight although his son Mike Tracer (Justin Bruening is the star.
– Tracer (not Knight Jr. – his dad did save the father of a hot young babe in a different town every week after all) is recruited by his long-time best friend, Sarah Graiman and her physicist father, Charles (Davison), to join the Knight Foundation.
– Bruce Davison (Senator Kelly in the first two X-MEN films) will appear as Charles Graiman.
Here’s a bigger look at the car:
The story revolves around the Knight Foundation’s commitment to counteracting and preventing the damage done by private, covert military contractors. Charles creates the next generation K.I.T.T. to help in their mission. A millionare wants Charles to create a version of the car for himself and when Charles refuses, the millionare uses one of those contractors to murder him.
It’s unknown at this point if they’ll bring back William Daniels to provide the voice of the artificially intelligent car. I think they should, but the guy is 80 years old at this point, so who knows?
The TV movie is being considered a pilot, and if it gets decent ratings may end up being spun off into a series. My gut-check meter says: Stinker.
Sources: Jalopnik.com via AICN and Hollywood Reporter
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!