James Gunn created and has now shared Awesome Mix Vol. 0, comprised of songs used on the set of the first Guardians of the Galaxy. While Gunn has been credited with successfully integrating a talking raccoon and giant tree (among others) into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, that was just one of the many reasons why the Guardians franchise took off. Filled with lovable characters and wild space adventures, they've also been used as Gunn's love-letters to movies from decades before.
It wasn't just major movies Gunn showed appreciation for, as he also sparked interest in music from the '60s and '70s. The loss of Peter Quill's mom allowed for Gunn to infuse music from those eras into each movie by the way of her Awesome Mixes. Both Awesome Mix Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 became incredibly popular purchases after each Guardians movie's release, and Gunn's now revealed a secret mix to boot.
Gunn shared on Twitter that he's created a playlist on Spotify called Awesome Mix Vol. 0, which is made of songs he would play on set of the first Guardians film. The mix features ten songs that were not featured in the first movie. You can listen to the entire playlist by clicking the link. Here is the full set list:
- Never Wanted To Dance by Mindless Self Indulgence
- Party Hard by Andrew W.K.
- The Way It Was (Feat. Bionik) by Aceyalone
- I Like It, I Love It by Lyrics Born
- Let's Dance to Joy Division by The Wombats
- Start Wearing Purple by Gogol Bordello
- Ben Vereen by Pigeon John
- Teenagers by My Chemical Romance
- Black List (Feat. Juskwan) by Lyrikill
- Timebomb by Old 97's
When it comes to comparing Awesome Mix Vol. 0 to the other two Mixes, this one is distinctly different. Both of the Mixes made by Meredith Quill capture the feel of the Guardians. They're infused with heart, but also still remain fun. The songs on Vol. 0 are very upbeat, which may just be exactly what Gunn wanted if these songs were used to keep the set lively. They are also all "newer" songs than those used in the films, with the songs ranging from late '90s to the current decade. He has made it clear before that he also plays the actual songs that will be in the movie during those scenes too, as well as playing the film's score when possible.
Now that his Guardians of the Galaxy secret mix is out there, many will surely wonder if another secret mix exists from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. If so, we could eventually see Gunn release that list as well. Since these songs are not tied to the Guardians and instead chosen based on Gunn's personal taste, it may be possible that this type of music will be what the Guardians listen to in the third movie. They'll be in the present day by then and likely visited Earth, so Star-Lord will have years of music to catch up on and load on his Zune. Regardless of the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 teases that this could provide, you can enjoy the latest playlist from Gunn in the meantime.
- Avengers: Infinity War / The Avengers 3 (2018) release date: Apr 27, 2018
- Ant-Man & The Wasp (2018) release date: Jul 06, 2018
- Captain Marvel (2019) release date: Mar 08, 2019
- The Avengers 4 / Untitled Avengers Movie (2019) release date: May 03, 2019
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) release date: Jul 05, 2019