I’m sure our regular readers may have noticed that there has been no coverage of the theatrical release of the Sex and the City movie here at Screen Rant.
That’s no accident.
I could not be less interested in a movie than I am in this one, but there’s some news that bears mentioning. According to the online movie ticket site (appropriately named) MovieTickets.com, pre-sales of tickets for the film are absolutely on fire, if you can believe it.
You’ve probably heard of the HBO Television series the movie is based on, about a group of attractive women living in New York City on a quest to find the perfect guy (or, as far as I know, any guy that’s hunky and will give them attention). I’ve never seen an episode of the show, and feel free to accuse me of judging it without viewing it. Here’s my advanced reply: Whatever.
Anyway you won’t believe where Sex and the City falls on the following list of all-time top ticket pre-sales for highly anticipated movies…
MovieTickets.com’s Top 20 Pre-Sale List of All-Time
1. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
4. Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
5. The Matrix Reloaded
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
8. Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones
9. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
11. Spider-Man 3
12. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
13. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
14. The Passion of The Christ
15. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
16. Sex and the City: The Movie
17. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
18. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
20. X-Men: The Last Stand
My brain is stuttering from the knowledge that this movie is pre-selling more tickets than the first Lord of the Rings movie, the latest Indiana Jones and even freaking Transformers!
I can only conclude that this must be the ultimate “chick flick” and that women will be rushing in droves to see it. No doubt in “packs” because I can’t imagine what tiny percentage of guys will be dragged to this, and then only under the promise of extreme sex afterwards.
A couple of my online movie buddies have seen it and actually said it was pretty good… Over at RottenTomatoes.com it just dipped into “rotten” territory with a 59% positive rating. The average star rating right now is 3/5.
While I don’t plan on seeing it, knowing myself I imagine that my opinion would most likely jive with reviewer Jeffrey Wells:
“The film is another Taliban recruitment film — a grotesque and putrid valentine to the insipid ‘me, my lifestyle, my accessories and I’ chick culture of the early 21st Century. Guys everywhere — if you’re in a brand-new relationship, take her to see this thing. If she even half-likes it, dump her and walk away cold. Save yourself!”
Sex and the City: The Movie opens tomorrow.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!