With a signature growl that's both tender and tough, charismatic character actor Ron Perlman has captured the hearts of fans for decades with roles in Beauty and the Beast, Adventure Time, Sons of Anarchy, and Pacific Rim. But out of hundreds of roles in film and television, his most beloved character is Hellboy, hands down.
Fans hungry for more adventures of this strange superhero have long been begging for a third installment to complete Guillermo del Toro's trilogy. And since Hellboy II: The Golden Army hit in 2008, the visionary writer/director and his strong-jawed leading man have been assuring us that they are working to get Hellboy 3 going. But at New York Comic-Con, Perlman seemed to have, at long last, given up the ghost.
Screen Rant sat down with Perlman at a roundtable interview for his latest collaboration with Del Toro, Trollhunters, which will hit Netflix in December. We took the opportunity to ask the genre icon if his recent reunion with the esteemed auteur meant the adored duo were any closer to making Hellboy 3 a reality. But unfortunately, instead of an update, Perlman admitted, "We don't talk about that anymore."
Pressed for why, Perlman said, "Because he's busy, and I'm busy. Maybe one day he's going to call and say, 'Hey, let's do it.' But for right now? We're happy discovering new worlds to conquer."
But those worlds to conquer don't currently include any further team ups. Asked whether he and del Toro had any other irons in the fire, Perlman shook his head, and said, "None that I know of."
For years, Perlman has been the potential sequel's biggest advocate. He even attempted to use his Twitter account to incite the fan fervor of his robust Twitter following of 353,000 people to get a movie-making movement brewing:
Anybody out there wanna see #HellboyIII as much as I do? Let's get this muthafucka trending, y'all!
Let's end the trilogy; we earned it!
— Ron Perlman (@perlmutations) June 3, 2015
While such online excitement did help get the long-desired superhero outing Deadpool finally made, Hellboy 3 continued to linger in the unkind realm of movie maybes. Then last spring, Perlman's faith began to falter. He confessed to Variety the sequel "probably will never happen, though you never say never never.” However, just last month, his hopes seemed to rally, as he encouraged Hellboy die-hards with a tweet indicating he was still working on a third film even if no one else was:
I'm working on another Hellboy movie. Nobody else is. But I sure am! https://t.co/bRoZ9ySaXl
— Ron Perlman (@perlmutations) September 20, 2016
With his latest statement, the compelling star hasn't completely closed the door to Hellboy 3. But when the Hellboy himself has lost faith, it seems this sequel is truly dead.
We'll bring you more from the Trollhunters roundtables later this week.Is JJ Abrams Making DC’s Next Superman Movie? He Says Not
Leave A Comment