The Harry Potter Saga
This, of course, is the centerpiece of the Harry Potter timeline. Lord Voldemort's attack upon the young Harry Potter backfired, leaving him almost dead. The Death Eaters were forced into retreat, and many of their number were imprisoned in Azkaban. The wizarding world entered a period of peace - but Albus Dumbledore believed it was just the calm before another storm.
Each of the Harry Potter books and films is set in a single school year, running from 1991 through to 1998. During this period, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger attended Hogwarts, and the threat of Lord Voldemort once again loomed on the horizon. The Dark Lord's return truly began in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, when he was able to restore himself to full life with a potion incorporating Harry Potter's own blood. Within two years, he had taken control of the wizarding community in Britain, but he hadn't factored in Harry Potter and his friends successfully destroying Voldemort's Horcruxes and killing him.
- 1981: The Potters unwisely made Peter Pettigrew their Secret Keeper, and he betrayed them to Lord Voldemort. Voldemort attacked the family in Godric's Hollow, but Lily's love protected the young Harry, and Voldemort was almost killed by the backfiring curse. A bond was created between Harry and Voldemort that would ultimately be crucial to the Dark Lord's final defeat. Voldemort fled, and was believed defeated by the wizarding world. Sometime thereafter, Pettigrew framed Sirius Black as the traitor in the Order of the Phoenix. Black was sentenced to Azkaban for life. Then, realizing that Lily's love protected Harry, Dumbledore had Harry sent to his Muggle relatives, the Dursleys.
- 1990-1991: Quirinus Quirrell, a teacher at Hogwarts, took a year's sabbatical to seek out knowledge. He stumbled upon Lord Voldemort, and was partially possessed by the dark wizard. Voldemort began to seek out the Philosopher's Stone as a means to his restoration.
- 1991-1992 - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Harry's first year at Hogwarts saw him build a close friendship with Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The three discovered that the Philosopher's Stone was hidden at Hogwarts, and prevented Voldemort acquiring it.
- 1992-1993 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Harry's second year at Hogwarts saw Lucius Malfoy conspire to open the Chamber of Secrets once again. Although Malfoy didn't know it, the artifact he used was in fact one of Voldemort's Horcruxes. Harry succeeded in killing Slytherin's Basilisk and destroying the Horcrux.
- 1993-1994 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Harry's third year at Hogwarts saw him bond with Azkaban escapee Sirius Black. Unfortunately, Harry was unable to prove that his godfather was innocent of betraying the Order of the Phoenix. Pettigrew was exposed, however, and fled to Voldemort's side.
- 1994-1995 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: With Pettigrew's help, Voldemort began to manipulate events to ensure he regained his life once more. The Dark Lord took advantage of the TriWizard Tournament to create a trap for Harry Potter, and used Harry's blood as part of a spell to revive himself. In spite of Voldemort's best efforts, however, Harry escaped and revealed the truth of Voldemort's return to Dumbledore.
- 1995-1996 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: The Ministry of Magic refused to believe that Voldemort had returned, and the Order of the Phoenix and the Death Eaters engaged in a shadow war. Dumbledore realized Voldemort could manipulate Harry Potter's mind, but was initially unable to protect him, and Harry and his friends fell into an almost-fatal trap. Dumbledore was forced to reveal Professor Trelawney's prophecy to Harry.
- 1996-1997 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts saw Dumbledore take a personal hand in his education, and the two wizards launched a plan to destroy the Horcruxes. Dumbledore was ultimately killed by Severus Snape. Bellatrix Lestrange also gave birth to Lord Voldemort's daughter, Delphini.
- 1997-1998 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Parts I & II: With Dumbledore dead, Voldemort rose to power and took over the Ministry of Magic as well as Hogwarts. Harry, Ron, and Hermione went on the run, leading a successful mission to destroy Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes, abandoning their seventh school year. The Dark Lord was finally killed in the Battle of Hogwarts.
Page 6 of 6: After Harry's School Years
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald/Fantastic Beasts 2 (2018) release date: Nov 16, 2018