The Fantastic Beasts Timeline Begins
The Fantastic Beasts timeline essentially begins with Albus Dumbledore - a secretive wizard from a family that suffered a terrible tragedy. A young Albus Dumbledore found himself drawn into the orbit of charismatic anti-Muggle campaigner Gellert Grindelwald, and even briefly helped Grindelwald put together his campaign and strategy. The two separated in heartbreaking circumstances, and would forevermore be opposed to one another.
Grindelwald successfully acquired the Elder Wand, and began to launch rallies across Europe. His name was associated with a wave of anti-Muggle violence, and an international manhunt was soon called. By the 1920s, Grindelwald had focused on gaining a powerful ally; he learned of a powerful Obscurus in New York, and traveled there to find him. That leads directly into the events of the two Fantastic Beasts films.
This era is also notable for a series of events revealed in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Further darkness loomed in the future of the Harry Potter timeline, with Merope Gaunt growing infatuated with a Muggle and giving birth to Tom Riddle - the infant who would become Lord Voldemort.
- 1890: Tragedy struck the Dumbledore family when six-year-old Ariana was attacked by a group of Muggle boys. Her father, Percival, attacked the Muggles and, for this crime, was sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban. The Dumbledores moved to Godric's Hollow to keep Ariana secret.
- 1899: The young Gellert Grindelwald was expelled from the Durmstrang Institute. Fascinated by the legend of the Deathly Hallows, he traveled to Godric's Hollow in England to research them. There, he met Albus Dumbledore, who had returned to his family home after the death of his mother, charged with looking after his sister, Ariana. Albus and Grindelwald shared an intense but brief friendship, which is a crucial part of the Fantastic Beasts movies. Grindelwald was ultimately confronted by Albus's brother, Aberforth, and a three-way duel ensued in which Ariana Dumbledore was tragically killed. Shortly after this, rumors began to circulate that the European wand-maker Gregorovitch had acquired the Elder Wand. Grindelwald ambushed him and gained Mastery of the Elder Wand.
- 1900s: The Lestrange family sent an unwanted son, Corvus Lestrange, to New York, accompanied by the young Leta Lestrange. Frustrated at the child's crying, Leta switched the baby for another for a brief moment - right before the ship they were on began to sink. The baby Corvus died in the storm. The child Leta had saved was handed over to Mary-Lou Barebone, who hated magic with a passion. He was given the name Credence Barebone.
- 1908: Newt Scamander and Leta Lestrange attended Hogwarts, and were taught by Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall.
- 1920s: Gellert Grindelwald began to gather followers to his fanatical cause, leading to an international manhunt.
- 1925: Merope Gaunt, a poor witch living in the village of Little Hangleton, grew obsessed with the Muggle Tom Riddle. She placed him under a charm or curse, and eloped with him.
- 1926: A pregnant Merope was abandoned by her husband. She died giving birth to her son, Tom Marvolo Riddle, at Wool's Orphanage in London.
- 1926 - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Newt Scamander traveled to New York, and discovered the presence of the Obscurus Credence Barebone. Grindelwald was successfully captured while attempting to acquire the Obscurus.
- 1927 - Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: Grindelwald escaped during a prisoner transfer, and tracked Credence Barebone to France. He launched one of his rallies in Paris, recruiting a number of wizards to his cause, including Credence - who he revealed to be Aurelius Dumbledore. Leta Lestrange was killed.
Page 4 of 6: Voldemort's Rise to Power
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald/Fantastic Beasts 2 (2018) release date: Nov 16, 2018