Harley Quinn may have started her life as 'Joker's girlfriend,' but the modern comics have seen her break free and live a life all her own. That life has included a romantic bond with Poison Ivy, and it seems the pair's new comic series may finally "explore" just what their love story really entails... even if their fans can already guess.
It's a good time to be a fan of the modern Harley Quinn, with the newly announced Harleen graphic novel from DC Black Label re-imagining her origin story as Joker's psychiatrist. And while she may have survived the mass killing in DC's Heroes in Crisis event, it was the death of Poison Ivy that destroyed Harley all the same. So it came as a massive relief when the final issue showed Poison Ivy Reborn, having merged with 'The Green' and now able to continue her life with Ivy. That's where the new miniseries Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy will begin, as the duo put Sanctuary behind them as they return home to Gotham.
The announcement of the six-issue miniseries comes straight from CBR, and it's no exaggeration to say that writer Jody Houser is one of the best scribes DC could have enlisted for this long awaited series. With artist Adriana Melo, the series promises to "explore the relationship" between these two Gotham City Sirens. And while that could mean many things, their fans are sure to hope for one particular confirmation--especially those fans who would appreciate DC owning the story, and confirming Harley and Ivy have been in the long, loving, supportive, and sexual relationship that has so far been all but explicitly stated (but we are well beyond the 'innuendo' stage).
The writing is on the wall, so much so that it's even been confirmed that Harley and Ivy were married in the Injustice timeline. With the pair getting a second chance at love, the official solicitation text for the series promising a change, and Houser among those fans would actually trust to deliver such a story, there's reason to hope. And while we may not know if Poison Ivy will ever meet Harley in the DCEU, pretending that these two are just "really good friends" is starting to feel more and more out of date. We'll have to wait and see, but for now, check out the cover art and official details below:
- HARLEY QUINN AND POISON IVY #1
- Written by JODY HOUSER
- Art by ADRIANA MELO
- Cover by ELENA CASAGRANDE
- Harley Quinn card stock variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
- Poison Ivy card stock variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
- Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are taking their show on the road in this new miniseries! They’ll have to evade villains and heroes alike while they explore their relationship and unpack their time and experiences at Sanctuary. Set after the events of HEROES IN CRISIS and smack in the middle of “Year of the Villain,” it’s a journey across the DC Universe that will change their friendship forever...if they live that long!
Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy #1 will be available at your local comic book shop on Setpember 4th, or direct from DC Comics.