Microsoft’s push to bring Halo back to the forefront of console gaming continued with last month’s XGames as Halo 5: Guardians took center stage with pro players battling it out for XGames Gold. Microsoft has also broadened the reach of the series by incorporating it into other Xbox exclusive titles like Killer Instinct and even next week's release of Rocket League.
As Halo 5 gets monthly updates to its multiplayer suite, Microsoft has been steadily releasing novels, comic books, and more toys for fans to collect. The franchise’s consumer products have generated more than $1.5 billion dollars in its 14-year history that puts its total at over $5 billion including the games, books, and more. Having previously worked with Mattel via their MEGA Bloks Halo toy lines, 343 Industries has announced it has signed a ‘master licensing agreement’ with the company for many more products going forward.
As the Halo MEGA line is set to be shown at this weekend’s New York Toy Fair, alongside the full collection being shown at Mattel’s Collector’s Night on Sunday, the toys available this fall were finally unveiled. The standouts include the BoomCo. Assault Rifle that actually appeared in Halo 5, and an assortment of 6” figures including one of Agent Locke and an Elite respectively. Fans who’d like to go all out have the opportunity to purchase a $70 dollar artillery tank or a $50 dollar 12” figure of the Master Chief and his trusty Warthog vehicle.
Here's a comprehensive list:
- Halo Mega BloksDual Mode UNSC Warthog (SRP: $29.99) – Twice the firepower makes for twice the ride. This buildable ground vehicle comes ready to deal out double the devastation, with a dual-mode capability that lets you switch between either a Gauss Cannon or Rocket Launcher as your turret-mounted weapon.
- Halo Mega Bloks Heroes Asst. II (SRP: $4.99) – Legendary Spartans assemble with Halo Heroes Assortment by Halo Mega Bloks that includes Sgt. Forge, Spartan DeMarco, ODST Romeo, and the multiplayer armors: Spartan Scout, Spartan Oceanic, and Spartan Gungnir. Packed with additional detail and iconic weapons, each of these highly collectible heroes comes with detachable armor and can be posed on a deluxe buildable display stand.
- Halo Mega Bloks Fireteam Asst. (SRP: $15.99) – Assemble your forces and prepare your troops for battle with the Fireteam Assortment by Halo Mega Bloks. Employed by the UNSC and Covenant alike, small units of highly-trained soldiers are used for tactical expertise and flexibility during combat operations.
- Halo Mega Bloks UNSC Vehicle (SRP: $69.99) – Batten down the hatches with this new UNSC vehicle by Halo Mega Bloks. Rigged with ironclad defenses, this buildable, eight-wheeled artillery tank comes fully loaded with a massive, pivoting cannon. Build the vehicle, and brace your Spartan for an attack from the approaching Covenant Brutes.
- BoomCo. Halo UNSC MA5 Blaster (SRP: $49.99) – One of the most iconic, go-to weapons of choice for the Master Chief. Includes true-to-game features – rapid-fire action, interchangeable clips and extra QwikClip storage in stock. Its size, speed and QwikClip compatibility make it a must-have item.
- BoomCo. Halo Brute Spiker (SRP: $19.99) – Featured in the upcoming Halo Wars 2 and includes the QwikClip system, designed not to jam, for quick-fire action and rapid reloads. Comes with authentic, intimidating Brute Spiker blades and includes 6-dart QwikClip and 6 darts.
- Halo Warthog + 12” Master Chief (SRP: $49.99) – Step into the Halo universe with the Warthog deluxe vehicle and figure. Recreate epic missions with the UNSC’s premier ground transportation vehicle in epic scale, complete with a rotating weapon turret to fit your favorite Spartan or Covenant figures. Includes fully articulated, removable 12” Master Chief figure.
- Halo 6" Figure Assortment (SRP: $19.99) –All new 6” collectible action figures series brings the Halo universe to life! More than 30 points of articulation in a highly poseable form. Each figure includes mix-and-match armor suit and 1-2 iconic, interchangeable weapons so you can customize your figure for battle.
- Halo Ghost Vehicle + 6” Figure (SRP: $29.99) – Step into the Halo universe with the Ghost vehicle and 6” Elite Officer figure. Includes highly detailed 6” figure with removable armor and weapon.
- Halo 12" Figure Assortment (SRP: $9.99) – Step into the Halo action with the all new Halo 12” figure assortment. Each figure stands 12” tall and includes 15 points of articulation. Figures include one iconic, interchangeable weapon that can store on back of figure and authentic, game-inspired design based on characters from the Halo universe.
- Tyco Halo Warthog ONI Anti-Tank Radio Control Vehicle (SRP: $49.99) – The deluxe Warthog ONI Anti-tank Radio Control vehicle is fully functional with forward/backward and right/left steering and missile firing capabilities.
- Tyco Halo Warthog Light Reconnaissance Radio Control Vehicle (SRP: $29.99) – The Warthog Light Reconnaissance Radio Control vehicle is fully functional with forward/backward and right/left steering capabilities.
- Halo Energy Sword (SRP: $49.99) – LFX and motion-activated SFX deliver life-like Halo experience, includes “Try Me” feature. Recreate epic Covenant vs. Spartan battles with Halo-inspired Covenant deco and design.
- Tyco Halo Radio Control Vehicle *product title pending* (SRP: $29.99) – All new Halo Radio Control vehicle is fully functional with forward/backward and right/left steering capabilities.
Head of 343 Industries Bonnie Ross commented on the agreement saying, “The success we’ve seen with the Halo MEGA Bloks franchise over the years laid the foundation for this partnership. We’re excited to work with Mattel to bring innovative, quality and, most of all, fun products to old and new Halo fans alike.” The same sentiment was echoed by Senior VP of Design and Marketing at Mattel Joe Lawandus who said, “We’re excited to expand our relationship with Halo and 343 Industries to create and collaborate on a broad range of multi-category toys and collectibles. From MEGA Bloks to blasters, action figures to radio controlled vehicles, our new line for 2016 features something for Halo fans everywhere.”
As reports of low sales for Halo 5: Guardians surfaced after the game's launch in late October, Microsoft will be happy the toys and products side of the franchise is doing so well in an age where LEGO, Disney Infinity and other game-related toys or toys-to-life franchises seem to be dominating the game toys space. McFarlane Toys also does a lot of work on premium Halo figures, and fans might see a Halo Wars 2 line revealed in the coming months in preparation for the game's late 2016 launch, as Microsoft would be smart to capitalize on the fan-favorite Halo Wars series.