Movie fans got an early official look at Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy when its first teaser trailer premiered during Jimmy Kimmel Live in mid-February, followed up by a series of character videos, promotional artwork and a poster that fittingly read “you’re welcome.” It was an adequate and exciting intro for fans of the GOTG comics and Marvel Cinematic Universe but it needed a lot of exposition for casual moviegoers who never heard of the cosmic team of misfits before.
That trailer placed the spotlight on the studio’s newest lead superhero played by Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation), but didn’t give any dialogue to his team, even forgoing the introduction of several key supporting characters – characters that writer and director James Gunn said would be reserved for the next full trailer. With the 2014 summer movie season nearly upon us, beginning with the release of another Marvel-licensed property in Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on May 2nd, followed by Fox’s X-Men: Days of Future Past three weeks later, that trailer is nearly here.
Latino-Review got an early look at a rough cut of the next Guardians of the Galaxy trailer, the first real trailer if we label the first one a teaser, and it includes plenty of new shots and more importantly, the voices of heroic team. They’ve got a detailed, chronological breakdown of what’s likely going to be in the final cut of the trailer but here are the highlights:
- Begins with familiar (but extended) scene of Korath the Pursuer (Djimon Hounsou) and Star-Lord scene with the orb and subsequent chase before Marvel logo appears.
- There are more shots of the ‘hero ship’ (the Milano) from the exterior and interior with the Guardians onboard, several shots of it in space.
- Trailer features another roll call of the team, this time by Quill, describing himself as a thief, Gamora as an assassin, Groot and Rocket Raccoon as “two criminals” and Drax the Destroyer as a “maniac.” The voiceover is cut with new shots of the characters including one of Groot tossing someone.
- We see Star-Lord with the mysterious orb and later in the trailer, Drax holding it as well.
- There’s a big shot of Ronan the Accuser approaching the camera, in his ship and wielding his hammer (the “Universal Weapon” in Marvel Comics).
- Lots of shots of explosions and mayhem, including exterior wide shots of the people of Xandar (the beautiful and peaceful Nova Corps space police homeworld) running on the bridge (from last year’s London set photos).
- We get to meet Nova Prime Irani Rael (Glenn Close), leader of the Nova Corps, referring to the Guardians of the Galaxy as “thugs.” It’s very evident that Xandar is in danger from Ronan and his massive ship.
- The Guardians are shown uniting, ready for battle and we finally get to hear Bradley Cooper’s excited and confident Rocket Raccoon voice (as he locks and loads an over-sized canon, of course).
- We see Knowhere, the space station built from a disembodied head of a Celestial, where parts of the film take place (it’s the Guardians’ base of operations in the comics).
- There are more shots of Groot, fighting something equally as large as him, and in a different shot we see him grow additional spiky branches from his back.
- Groot does say his one and only catchphrase (“I Am Groot”) and we hear Vin Diesel’s voice.
- There are also some cool action shots of Gamora and Drax, and more of The Collector (Benicio Del Toro) and Nebula (Karen Gillan).
- The theme of the trailer is the origin of this team and how Star-Lord rallies them together, similar to how he does in the books but for seemingly different reasons.
- Yes, there’s more classic rock in the trailer.
Unfortunately, no mention of Michael Rooker’s Yondu character or Thanos – who we know is in the film, will be digitally animated and has already been cast…
With some of the year’s biggest films debuting in the lucrative month of May, we expect to see the second Guardians of the Galaxy trailer to come alongside one of them, likely a Marvel one which has us thinking X-Men: Days of Future Past. After all, the film opens less than two months later and you can bet on Disney and Marvel going to the extreme with marketing their obscure property in its risky August release date.
Fun fact: At the time of this writing, there are 99 days left until GOTG hits theaters.
For a deep analysis of what we’ve seen so far, check out our own Guardians of the Galaxy video and trailer explanation. Share your thoughts in the comments!
Guardians of the Galaxy is directed by James Gunn and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel as Groot, Bradley Cooper as Rocket, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, with John C. Reilly, Glenn Close as Nova Prime Rael and Benicio Del Toro as The Collector.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is now in theaters, Guardians of the Galaxy opens August 1, 2014, The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, and unannounced films for May 6 2016, July 8 2016 and May 5 2017.
Follow Rob on Twitter @rob_keyes for your Marvel movie and TV news!
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!