The Awesome Mix Vol. 2 is now officially available on cassette tape, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 director James Gunn reveals. Following its predecessor's footstep, the OST also gets an old school treatment that would surely amplify the nostalgia brought about by the carefully curated songs in the movie's soundtrack.
Music is such an integral part of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise - it sets the mood for a film sequence and the film's storytelling spills to the beats of the lyrics and rhythm that its soundtrack has. Much like the stellar collection of '70s to '80s records for the first film in the series that played off the throwback vibes really well, Gunn has once again come up with a slew of songs that not only adds dynamic to the movie but also speaks to the overall theme it is going for. Which is why when he announced back in April that the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 OST will also be released in other media formats including cassette, many fans and collectors have been on the lookout for its release date.
The director of the successful Marvel property recently took it to his official Instagram account to finally reveal that the much-awaited Awesome Mix Vol. 2 is now available on cassette tape complete with what appears to be a personally handwritten tracklist to capitalize on the nostalgia.
The collection includes all the 14 songs used in the film:
- "Mr. Blue Sky" — Electric Light Orchestra
- "Fox on the Run" — Sweet
- "Lake Shore Drive" — Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
- "The Chain" — Fleetwood Mac
- "Bring It on Home to Me" — Sam Cooke
- "Southern Nights" — Glen Campbell
- "My Sweet Lord" — George Harrison
- "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" — Looking Glass
- "Come a Little Bit Closer" — Jay and the Americans
- "Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang" — Silver
- "Surrender" — Cheap Trick
- "Father and Son" — Cat Stevens
- "Flash Light" — Parliament
- "Guardians Inferno" — The Sneepers feat. David Hasselhoff
Fans were quick to comment on Gunn's post regarding their excitement on the release of the Awesome Mix Vol. 2 in cassette tape with some even suggesting that it would be a great idea if the item also came with a Sony cassette player. No information, however, was given thus far in terms of the vinyl format which the OST will supposedly also come out in.
The original film furthered by Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 provided a different spin in terms of incorporating music into film. Instead of just being a background prop, Gunn utilized it in a way that it drives the film's narrative - almost like a character altogether. So, it's not a surprise that the music has become almost as iconic as Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Groot (Vin Diesel).
Source: James Gunn
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) release date: Jul 07, 2017
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017) release date: Nov 03, 2017
- Black Panther (2018) release date: Feb 16, 2018
- The Avengers 4 / Avengers: Endgame (2019) release date: Apr 26, 2019
- Avengers: Infinity War / The Avengers 3 (2018) release date: Apr 27, 2018
- Ant-Man & The Wasp (2018) release date: Jul 06, 2018
- Captain Marvel (2019) release date: Mar 08, 2019